May 1, 2024
27 Guests and 1 Member Online

Please consider Sign Uping

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Sign Up

Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

No permission to create posts
sp_Feed Topic RSS GOTJ23
Would reggae work at the gathering?
February 26, 2013
1:52 pm
turnthecrank
Members
Forum Posts: 6
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Stephen or Damian Marley? I think they go pretty well with the festival environment. Do yall think Juggalos would buy in? 

February 26, 2013
2:16 pm
The Warlock
New Mexico
Members
Forum Posts: 11703

damian would be dope.. that distant relatives album's siiiick...

flh-banna-coFFFpyDD_zpsKKl9s7vkap.jpg

February 26, 2013
2:24 pm
scruffy
scruffy
Members

Moderators
Forum Posts: 11447

id love to see reggae at the gathering.  i absolutely believe it would work, unless, of course, the juggalos wanna be assholes. 

culture! 

awfully paranoid, arent you?   

February 26, 2013
2:31 pm
PunkRockJuggalo
Members

Moderators
Forum Posts: 6559

and there is the major problem with new and old acts playing the gathering there will always be the assholes throwing shit and treating artist with disrespect

February 26, 2013
2:40 pm
scruffy
scruffy
Members

Moderators

which is absurd, when you consider how much cool shit there is to do at a gathering.  if you dont like an artist, then go to another stage.  dont like those artists, then fuck off to the woods and do some drugs, go get a meal, dunk your head into lake hep, hit up the carnival rides, etc. 

standing in a sweaty crowd just for the chance to be a big dickhead is beyond ludicrous.  stupidity in action. 

February 26, 2013
2:50 pm
PunkRockJuggalo
Members

Moderators
Forum Posts: 6559

scruffy said:

which is absurd, when you consider how much cool shit there is to do at a gathering.  if you dont like an artist, then go to another stage.  dont like those artists, then fuck off to the woods and do some drugs, go get a meal, dunk your head into lake hep, hit up the carnival rides, etc. 

standing in a sweaty crowd just for the chance to be a big dickhead is beyond ludicrous.  stupidity in action. 

cosign 

February 26, 2013
3:25 pm
Bobbo Tokes
Bobbo Tokes
Members
Forum Posts: 237

If only Sublime was still around, they would have been a perfect mix to add to the gathering. Thinking about it, Kmk borrows alot of elements from them. Sublime did their thing alot better than what Kmk has done period.

I agree on the throwing shit, unless someone begs for it by being an all out asshole on stage. Look at Ric Flair, sure he didnt whoopwhoop properly, but was that a reason to pelt the guy with a full bottle of water and other objects?

MCL.

February 26, 2013
3:25 pm
S.W.I.T.C.H.
S.W.I.T.C.H.
Members
Forum Posts: 86

Yes it would work!  Yes you two are correct!  

PunkRockJuggalo said:

scruffy said:

cosign 

February 26, 2013
3:28 pm
scruffy
scruffy
Members

Moderators

speakin for my own tastes, sublime was somewhat overrated. 

but then, they werent really reggae, anyway. 

February 26, 2013
4:04 pm
Deadfolx
Deadfolx
Members
Forum Posts: 206

I don't think it would work for mainstage.  But one of the other stages for sure.  Mainstage crowd is way too harsh on artists.  seems a lot better at other stages

February 26, 2013
4:13 pm
scruffy
scruffy
Members

Moderators

i it were me setting it up, id do it as a reggae-themed day; say, four to six reggae acts on the second stage, or the bomb house, over just one day, so that fans will know to be there, and haters will know not to be there. 

much, much would depend on who i could reasonably expect to be able to book for it, though.  culture?  no way.  shaggy?  doubt it.

bounty killer?  maybe...  thatd be fuckin dope. 

February 26, 2013
4:57 pm
Bobbo Tokes
Bobbo Tokes
Members

They might have not been pure reggae, but it was clearly a part of their style mixed with punk.

To each their own Scruffy, me personally I think Nirvana is the most overrated group out there.

MCL.

February 26, 2013
5:23 pm
scruffy
scruffy
Members

Moderators

bobbotokes said:

To each their own Scruffy, me personally I think Nirvana is the most overrated group out there.

quite so, in my opinion.  maybe not the single most, but way up there. 

all the people i know that love nirvana, never, ever, ever listen to their shit any more.  but still give em the crown...

i feel sublimes legacy benefitted in the same way as nirvana; not one fan that i knew considered them to be king shit until after the leads died.

February 26, 2013
7:14 pm
Slumerican502
Slumerican502
Louisville, Kentucky
Members
Forum Posts: 4717

scruffy said:

speakin for my own tastes, sublime was somewhat overrated. 

but then, they werent really reggae, anyway. 

bobbotokes said:

If only Sublime was still around, they would have been a perfect mix to add to the gathering. Thinking about it, Kmk borrows alot of elements from them. Sublime did their thing alot better than what Kmk has done period.

I agree on the throwing shit, unless someone begs for it by being an all out asshole on stage. Look at Ric Flair, sure he didnt whoopwhoop properly, but was that a reason to pelt the guy with a full bottle of water and other objects?

MCL.

I have always been a huge sublime fan. 40oz to freedom is probably my favorite rock cd of all time. But they fucking suck live. I have this 3 disc collection of unreleased music and concert footage. Bradley was ALWAYS fucking trashed, he misses chords, and he forgets/makes up words to his songs.

Im down for reggae/ska at the gathering. Bring in some Slightly Stoopid or some Pepper

February 26, 2013
7:22 pm
Bobbo Tokes
Bobbo Tokes
Members

Good point, I do agree with you that they got alot of press after Brad died. I seen them live back in the day and they put on one hell of a show. I have his last recordings right before he overdosed without the band, half the songs sounded like he was in the shower and the rest were at a bar strung out the whole time.

They should do something new this year. The metal addition was cool, but I don't care for p.o.d, static x and only liked a few songs from fear factory. If they do more metal acts again, I really hope none of those bands appear this year. Some ninjas might have liked them, but bringing in say megadeth or even motley crue would be interesting to see if the juggalo world digs it.

MCL. 

February 26, 2013
7:58 pm
Violentdope
Violentdope
Members
Forum Posts: 4619

Hell ya reggae would work great at the gathering.Cant have Marley or Peter Tosh maybe Barrington Levy,Pato Banton

February 26, 2013
8:22 pm
patjoyce
patjoyce
Members
Forum Posts: 4891

The gathering should remain what it is in my opinion. A reggae themed night? The last themed night was "Ladies Night" and we all remember how well that went. The gathering is the shit, I see no reason to change it. They've tried being different before, remember Andrew WK? How long did homeboy last? 15 minutes, tops? I was tripping hard and could have watched that funny muthafucka all night long, no shit, I was seeing trails off that dude all over the place. It was different, and the crowd mostly hated him. Reggae is way too mellow for the gathering, fuck are ya'll smokin? They wouldn't last 10 minutes. I personally hate the people that throw shit, but you gathering vets know as well as I do, some people just live to throw shit at people. I don't see reggae working at all, never happen.

February 26, 2013
8:34 pm
scruffy
scruffy
Members

Moderators

you, uh, dont listen to any reggae, huh?

the bomb house had themes last year.

the idea isnt to brand it, or label it, simply to group the shit together, so that ninjas know whats up, and wont be throwin rocks while waiting to see some limp ass metal band. 

yeah, theres about zero metal acts im hopin for.  just an example.

February 26, 2013
8:38 pm
patjoyce
patjoyce
Members
Forum Posts: 4891

I'm a pothead who doesn't necessarily care for reggae, no. I have no problem with it being at the gathering, but I'm not one of the assholes that's throwing shit, either. No musical act has to worry about shit from me, I just feel that reggae is way too mellow to catch on at the gathering. You might not like metal, but it works, it fits the gathering. On top of the fact that I feel it's way too mellow and don't see it working out well, who in their right mind is going to come to the gathering of the juggalos and perform reggae?

February 26, 2013
8:46 pm
scruffy
scruffy
Members

Moderators

I just feel that reggae is way too mellow to catch on at the gathering.

theres a lot of different kinds of reggae artists out there.

take the earlier example of bounty killer.  you really think bounty killer is too mellow? 

who in their right mind is going to come to the gathering of the juggalos and perform reggae?

this point, is more of an issue.  but, its also an issue for about 99% of the bands out there. 

No permission to create posts
Forum Timezone: America/Chicago

Most Users Ever Online: 591

Currently Online: jiggles the clown
45 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

The Warlock: 11663

King Lucem Ferre: 9098

Old Mr Dangerous: 8974

krunk: 8060

OCJ_Brendan: 6148

Member Stats:

Guest Posters: 755

Members: 3743

Moderators: 6

Admins: 2

Forum Stats:

Groups: 5

Forums: 28

Topics: 12299

Newest Members:

Michaeletews, issuesthycloon, MatthewMut, PureHateToTheFullest, Indica cart

Moderators: GanjaGoblin: 2873, Psyral: 4297, bozodklown: 394, scruffy: 11447, PunkRockJuggalo: 6559, Pigg: 6492

Administrators: admin: 1, ScottieD: 845