April 26, 2024
83 Guests and Online

Please consider Sign Uping

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Sign Up

Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

No permission to create posts
sp_Feed Topic RSS GOTJ23
Juggalo Cartography OR Gathering Map Stuff
May 2, 2016
10:36 am
Cheshyr
Cheshyr
Members
Forum Posts: 1853
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

I thought I'd make a thread for those that like to over plan regarding breaking down a few factuals in regard to the 17th Gathering map. No stories, just bullet points. Knowledge is power. And I'm bored at the moment...

Image Enlarger

The map's orientation is generally North to South but would be slightly tilted to the left. The sun rises over the trees of "Oddities" and shines directly over the event until around 6p when it sinks low enough for the line of trees (shown on map directly North of "Missing Link") to cast their shadow into the bowl of the Main Stage. Otherwise, sun all day till it sets without obstruction.

The highest point in the whole grounds is the hill on the North side of the JCW stage. Were it not for the trees, flags and banners it would have an almost unobstructed view of the Main Stage (far in the distance). Kayfabe has a bowl shape to it with the wrestling ring in the middle.

Another thing to note about Kayfabe on this map is that is shows a pathway that leads to the Seminar Tent area... now, this was the same on last year's map HOWEVER... at some point the must have deemed it a security weakness and wired the fence shut. The Seminar Tent area does [DID] not require a wristband and that pathway lead right into the Kayfabe camping area. So that meant anyone in Kayfabe had to walk down their hill and go all the way around and up again to get to a seminar tent that is RIGHT next to their campsite. IOW, don't count on that path being available (or for long) unless they've modified their fencing since last year to allow it to remain open.

Straight-up, Alakazam is the parking lot behind a fence separating it. The major benefit of camping here is the direct access to the Seminar and Autograph Tents (and whatever else is up there like the movie tent or if you wanna get preached to). I have not camped there but as reported previously, most reports of sites getting tossed have come from these roundabouts because of their proximity to the NON-wristband areas. But if you find your schedule is looking like you are gonna be up at the top of the hill most or if you got some strategy for that autograph line it's perfect.

The fence that makes up the East wall of Alakazam actually DOES have a path that runs its length. It is on the NON-wristband side of the fence but they DO check anyone that uses the path to get down the 90degree hill that leads to the majority of the "Missing Link" grounds. Missing Link has the largest area of FLAT camping space (unless yer a crazy ninja that sets up on the hill itself). It's also a good spot for peepin' the occasional artist walking around checking things out (cuz Main Stage is right next to it).

I can't comment as to the Big Balla area beyond having seen it and walked around it. (Perhaps a Balla might wanna chime in on it) But a thing to know about it if yer lookin' at the map, is that it's not exactly a "shortcut". After everyone gets set up and tent lines start stretching and power cables n'shit are all over the place, it is NOT faster (at times) than taking the roads. And you WILL be using the roads. It becomes a fuckin' Juggalo Labyrinth of tents, RVs, vehicles, random dangers or grossness to avoid; and there will be plenty of times where you'll have to dance around etiquette and walk through someone's shit with them all sitting around... just be cool, give a whoop whoop and move on (or stay and say hey, whateva).

The other thing to note about the Big Ballas section are the roads that frame the area to the North and South. These are the primary walking paths to and from the Main Stage. IOW, these are HIGH traffic areas. It is up to you and you own insurance coverage and general care of your car if you wanna set up shop along these areas. Big RVs are one thing but smaller vehicles will be COVERED in dust and will be bumped into thousands of times throughout the week. Bring a paint stick.

"Oddities" was my first Gathering campsite so I got a fondness for it. It is one of the only places that might be considered "woods" but it is SMALL, if you have a car pass you will NOT be able to park your car here. While the road that runs in front of the area marked on the map IS still Oddities, there is a deep riven that runs the length of it (on its East side). Most were parking their cars along the road and camping at the base of the riven. Along that riven is a dried up creek. To get to the ACTUAL Oddities area you gotta hop over it OR use the ONLY BRIDGE that no one really seemed to key in on. In the mornings the wooden bridge becomes slippery and people bust ass. There IS a place where you can kinda see the Main Stage but to be sure, it is generally removed from the bustle of people moving along the road that is only a short distance but has nothing to do with it. The trees obstruct the view. That can be a pro or a con depending on your needs. Oddities is also directly behind the Pendulum Stage. You'll be hearing whatever is going on there. I still managed to get sleep. The fence shown on the map separating the Stage from Oddities was rolled back a panel to allow traffic to travel through it AFTER everyone had set up camp. Otherwise there was no real traffic from anyone that wasn't camped there. That can be a pro or a con [nudge].

Additionally, you can [could] camp along that fence between the Pendulum Stage and Oddities. but you had to hug to it as there needed to be vehicle access and to avoid the Tent cables.

"Gypsy Row" is a hill that slopes at about 30percent. It is wide and if you take a look at it using Google Maps, you can still see the pathways that get etched out as people make them on their own (the images were taken approx. around the time after the first Gathering there and incidentally, the current images on Google StreetView of the place were taken within a WEEK of last year's Gathering). It becomes a shortcut to Pendulum and a workaround to avoid crowds at Carousel. It is also ROCK FREE. While it may have a sleight slope to it, it is soft and without stumbling. You can even take your shoes off and walk on grass for a while.

That leaves "N.I.A. Ninjas In Action". The NorthEast corner could be considered the farthest point from ANYthing other than the Carousel Stage. N.I.A. has another of the few places that could be considered "woods", however it is also closer to the Interstate to the North. A pro/con of the area is that there is no real reason for the average wanderer to travel past the Carousel Stage. Most traffic comes in from the South road and unless you're just lookin' to meet EVERYone, the journey ends there.

You may find yourself bouncing between the Seminar Tent and the Carousel Stage as those are where the *scheduled* events seem to fall if you aren't checking out artists at the Pendulum Stage, riding the rides, on Merch Row, attending the WolfPac live shows or Busey's Beauties...(during the day).

Another factor that is NOT displayed on the map is LIGHTING...

At night, there are plenty of sources of light in primary areas. Most others are lit by some generator based baseball field type lights. This is something to consider in choosing a campsite. Other than these lights, most places are pitch black. The alternative is having these lights shining through your tent at all hours casting shadows like a Juggalo Puppet Show.

[meh] That's all I got for now.

If anyone has any FACTUAL shit they wanna contribute, PLEASE DO! Not stories, but factual shit. This is our last year in Legend Valley AKA Shangri-La, and I'm sure there are first-timer people out there that can benefit from such anecdotal information like when the honey wagons show up, shower line rules, water/ice advice, etc...

Hope it helps some to Gathering harder and smarter!!!

ninjabatmanninjagetclownedninjabatmanninjagetclownedninjabatmanninja 

Whoop Whoop Cheshyr :

SPOOKYtheFUNGI, JC, Psyral, scruffy, phreakcore, CellE2057

"Your lack of online social presence makes it difficult for me to predict your needs..." - 2064: Read Only Memories

May 2, 2016
5:41 pm
SPOOKYtheFUNGI
Members
Forum Posts: 3072

I was thinkin bout the oddities site too. Or missinglink on the hill wit trees in front of mainstage

May 2, 2016
7:07 pm
Split
Split
Nebraska
Members
Forum Posts: 859

Im still planning on posting up in missing link area.

May 2, 2016
7:24 pm
Cheshyr
Cheshyr
Members

SPOOKYtheFUNGI said
I was thinkin bout the oddities site too. Or missinglink on the hill wit trees in front of mainstage

The area that you describein Missing Link is at what is the Main Entrance. When the first start letting people in, they do NOT let people set up there immediately. They want you do go farther in before they start letting people set up camps RIGHT up against the security checkpoint. And that goes for BOTH sides of the road.

The line of trees you can camp under (but can NOT build fires under as they are pine tress and it is a fire hazard) is the upper half of a hill that has become known as the Chill Hill and is sectioned off by large rocks as there is no camping or parking there and overlooks the bowl of the Main Stage area.

This area can be seen in many videos as it is the first area you walk down/past on the main road into the grounds past the checkpoint fence.

The one thing that can be said about this area is that it is anything BUT private. At night, Legend Valley lights up this row of trees with colored lights shining on them. If you got sleep concerns or gear that might not set up too well on a slope, it may not be for you.

Whoop Whoop Cheshyr :

SPOOKYtheFUNGI

"Your lack of online social presence makes it difficult for me to predict your needs..." - 2064: Read Only Memories

May 2, 2016
8:38 pm
wonka69
wonka69
Members
Forum Posts: 1647

I'm going this year for sure and sometime around July, I'll be going next year, for sure! again!

K R U S H - K I L L - D E S T R O Y !

May 2, 2016
9:52 pm
JC
JC
Members
Forum Posts: 544

Holy crap @cheshyr that is one amazing description of the gathering grounds. 

May 2, 2016
10:42 pm
Cheshyr
Cheshyr
Members

THANKS...? wacky

I think it's cuz lately I've been reading a lot of Metal Gear FAQs trying to get through Ground Zeroes before I play Phantom Pain.

I'm on some descriptive map shit, I guess.

Of course with this being the last year at Legend Valley, all of this info becomes worthless. I may as well put it out there for those that THIS will be their first Gathering.

I'll go on record as saying that where you end up camping will TOTALLY determine the stories you have to tell afterwords. Whether you're copping a hotel room and setting up a site or going deep with hammocks n'shit, sight unseen... your plans will change.

Whoop Whoop Cheshyr :

Psyral

May 3, 2016
2:47 am
Mr. Tidwell
Members
Forum Posts: 1825

Cheshyr said
THANKS...? wacky

I think it's cuz lately I've been reading a lot of Metal Gear FAQs trying to get through Ground Zeroes before I play Phantom Pain.

I'm on some descriptive map shit, I guess.

Of course with this being the last year at Legend Valley, all of this info becomes worthless. I may as well put it out there for those that THIS will be their first Gathering.

I'll go on record as saying that where you end up camping will TOTALLY determine the stories you have to tell afterwords. Whether you're copping a hotel room and setting up a site or going deep with hammocks n'shit, sight unseen... your plans will change.

offtopicphantom pain is so sick. 

(just because that mean face is bugging me, I'm off topic not you obviously)

May 3, 2016
9:05 am
phreakcore
phreakcore
Members
Forum Posts: 405

@cheshyr  You have covered everything I have spend endless nights studying via google/bing maps and gathering videos from Legend Valley. I obsessed last year over where was the best spot for me to camp based on various factors. And of course due to some other shit I camped in the worst spot possible. As result though I can give some info on Alakazam. First, I know you said they don't check the wristbands but I feel like right after the ticket trailer there was a guy checking wristbands. I know further down they check too but last year I recall them checking right past the ticket booth also. 

View post on imgur.com

I circled the area on the map...hopefully it loads 

Also, Alakazam and the fence line extends down to kindle rd on the west side. Past that patch of trees on the map is actually a trail you can walk down and there is another area of camping. Its a sloping hill but on the bottom is a little patch of trees and a little trail in the bottom corner that you can walking through to get to missing link. I unfortunately, camped right in the middle of the hill, on the slope, in the middle of the sun. I will post the google map image below. hopefully it works. The black line on the image is the fence. The bottom dot was where I camped. If you look at about 2 o clock from my spot is the cut through trail. 

View post on imgur.com

Thanks again for all the info. I am sure I will read, dissect, and analyze all your notes over and over and over and over. And of course this year I am not banking on my plans all coming to fruition. Its still nice to have a game plan and be audible ready. Now all we need is a good plan for anyone who is planning to meet up, including day 0. I think it would of helped a lot of us figure out WTF was going on with that thing that rhymes "pine" if there was a meetup for ninjas getting there early. I know a few of you guys did meet up in line but like you Cheshyr I was posted up across the street and ended up being waaaaay behind the 8 ball

Edited because the pics wouldn't load or I just don't know how to load them

May 3, 2016
11:08 am
spadedninja4207
spadedninja4207
Members
Forum Posts: 55

Ive camped right near pimp lights both years had no problems the coco bongo drink people were the nicest ever last year and kept giving us free smoothies 

May 3, 2016
11:12 am
scruffy
scruffy
Members

Moderators
Forum Posts: 11447

spadedninja4207 said
Ive camped right near pimp lights both years had no problems the coco bongo drink people were the nicest ever last year and kept giving us free smoothies 

shit, you were about thirty meters away from the flh forum collective, last year. 

awfully paranoid, arent you?   

May 3, 2016
11:33 am
spadedninja4207
spadedninja4207
Members

Didn't even realize it cant wait to meet some of you ninjas there this year!

May 3, 2016
3:22 pm
OCJ_Brendan
OCJ_Brendan
Springfield VA
Members
Forum Posts: 6148

scruffy said

spadedninja4207 said

shit, you were about thirty meters away from the flh forum collective, last year. 

And this year.  I liked our spot and will secure it again with a few minor expansions...Gathering willing that is.

"Somewhere theres a Waffle House thats severely understaffed right now" -OCJ to Scruffy watching a second stage act at the Gathering.

May 3, 2016
4:28 pm
scruffy
scruffy
Members

Moderators

OCJ_Brendan said 

scruffy said 

spadedninja4207 said 

And this year.  I liked our spot and will secure it again with a few minor expansions...Gathering willing that is.   

oh, yeah? 

should we push to do the flh forum village there, maybe? 

May 3, 2016
5:10 pm
spadedninja4207
spadedninja4207
Members

We had the area behind the smoothie truck along the fence excellent spot wouldnt mind seeing everyone there

May 3, 2016
6:39 pm
OCJ_Brendan
OCJ_Brendan
Springfield VA
Members
Forum Posts: 6148

scruffy said

OCJ_Brendan said 

scruffy said 

spadedninja4207 said 

oh, yeah? 

should we push to do the flh forum village there, maybe? 

I imagine itll go close to how last year went with a better plan.  Glo will get lit and then Shaman's Cali Bud will knock her out so shes not grumpy in the morning then you and I and whoever else will go stake our claim when gates open.  Since we know where were going we can get there faster and break out a larger swathe for our crew.  Ima steal the spot @celle2057 had last year though no bullshit because last year my tent was his sun breaker lol.

"Somewhere theres a Waffle House thats severely understaffed right now" -OCJ to Scruffy watching a second stage act at the Gathering.

May 3, 2016
10:29 pm
Cheshyr
Cheshyr
Members

Ay! YO!!!

MAPS, Mafkas! MAPS!!! We're looking for FACTS that are not on the MAPS! hammer

@phreakcore I stand corrected I guess. I had no idea the usable area beyond the parking lot hills extended that far, as (like NE N.I.A.) I had no call to go over there. I suppose that could be a plus but that seems like an even MORE antisocial locale. A possible 'con' being that it is closer to a public road and is most often what everyone's GPS tells them to turn onto as the address of The Gathering so I'm sure there's a bit of u-turn traffic goin' on. I dunno, may put a crimp in someone's naked plans (er' sumthin').

May 3, 2016
11:07 pm
scruffy
scruffy
Members

Moderators

really, what we should be doin, is talkin up all the crummy spots on the grounds, as if theyre cherry camping, and not sayin a damn thing about the nice ones.  no sense drivin up demand for the good sites. 

probably wont matter though. 

best tactic, honestly, is to run.  faster than every one else around you.  and, as you run, keep your eyes open for the best open spot you can find.  pick one out, set up as much of your camp as you can as fast as you can, then get to coordinating with whoever about bringin in the cars and the rest of the shit.  or hump it yourself, which is doable, but gets old. 

if you dont have anyone else to coordinate with, and dont feel like goin back n forth, might as well not bother with a detailed plan.  just keep track of whats goin on around you, move with the herd when its your turn.  hope for the best. 

in my opinion, most plans [other than these two] will have at best a fifty-fifty chance of happenin. 

or partial success; some shit works out, some doesnt.  whatever.  ya know, gathering. 

Cheshyr said 
Ay! YO!!!   
MAPS, Mafkas! MAPS!!! We're looking for FACTS that are not on the MAPS!    

on the assumption that this is one of those 'off-topic, dammit' things, ill add some not-on-map stuff.

fact:  me and pigg got griped at for daring to set foot in what is now the kayfabe area. 

additional fact:  that whole area is, or was, ringed with portos.  theyre spaced apart, so the overall traffic to each is a bit lower.  theres also a bunch clumped up by the wrestling stage, but theyre high traffic, of course. 

May 3, 2016
11:12 pm
phreakcore
phreakcore
Members
Forum Posts: 405

Cheshyr said

I suppose that could be a plus but that seems like an even MORE antisocial locale. A possible 'con' being that it is closer to a public road and is most often what everyone's GPS tells them to turn onto as the address of The Gathering so I'm sure there's a bit of u-turn traffic goin' on. I dunno, may put a crimp in someone's naked plans (er' sumthin').

It was definitely off on an island of its own. Not a lot of people walking through at all. Walk was awful especially coming from Carousel at night. I usually walked back to the main entrance trail past alakazam to the very front of the fence on the parking lot side (non wristband) and busted a left through the parking lot all the way down to kindle rd. The was an opening in that top corner of the fence I could cut through to get on the other side to my tent.

By the time I got there all the area around the perimeter were set up and including the fence right in front of the parking lot. We just said fuckkit and set up on the top of the hill in the middle. we had a slight slope but nothing awful. The one cool thing was though since its parallel to kindle rd you would see the performers who were coming from the back entrance to LV on the golf carts being driven to the seminar/autograph area. And yes there was a lot more car traffic and even trucks going down that road. I would not recommend that area.

May 4, 2016
12:35 am
CellE2057
Members
Forum Posts: 1346

OCJ_Brendan said

I imagine itll go close to how last year went with a better plan.  Glo will get lit and then Shaman's Cali Bud will knock her out so shes not grumpy in the morning then you and I and whoever else will go stake our claim when gates open.  Since we know where were going we can get there faster and break out a larger swathe for our crew.  Ima steal the spot @celle2057 had last year though no bullshit because last year my tent was his sun breaker lol.

We have a pretty big tent this year (complete with shaded "porch" so whoever in our little shantytown needs shade will have it) so where it gets set up is going to be a factor. 

Lol yeah, thanks for that btw. It was rather pleasant. 

I want to contribute to the actual topic but it seems like Cheshyr really did school it. 

No permission to create posts
Forum Timezone: America/Chicago

Most Users Ever Online: 591

Currently Online:
115 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

The Warlock: 11663

King Lucem Ferre: 9098

Old Mr Dangerous: 8974

krunk: 8060

OCJ_Brendan: 6148

Member Stats:

Guest Posters: 755

Members: 3743

Moderators: 6

Admins: 2

Forum Stats:

Groups: 5

Forums: 28

Topics: 12299

Newest Members:

Shawnnurne, DavidCip, HarveyIrref, EdwardNat, Donaldmup

Moderators: GanjaGoblin: 2873, Psyral: 4297, bozodklown: 394, scruffy: 11447, PunkRockJuggalo: 6559, Pigg: 6492

Administrators: admin: 1, ScottieD: 845