April 26, 2024
82 Guests and Online

Please consider Sign Uping

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Sign Up

Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

No permission to create posts
sp_Feed Topic RSS GOTJ23
Cave-In-Rock Vs. Thornville
December 16, 2014
6:29 pm
Members
Forum Posts: 1579
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Gathering 2015, my bad.

"I Just Wanna Hide Inside My Own Private Hell"- Boondox

December 16, 2014
9:05 pm
DrFreshness
DrFreshness
Members
Forum Posts: 596

86 said

scruffy said
why you need someone to travel with?  

or rather, why is it that that is a problem?  

Traveling alone sucks. And it's awkward. IDK. I've been building up my first Gathering. I've always imagined going with someone. 

Personally I *want* to go alone, I wouldn't do it any other way.  I've done some travelling alone and you end up meeting and hanging out with so many more people that way.   

ma I ohw tnia I nmaddog
map deman sehctib taf gib nikcuf syawla m'I
December 17, 2014
4:55 pm
Miklo Velka
Miklo Velka
Members
Forum Posts: 3593

86 said

Miklo Velka said

86 said
 I've been building up my first Gathering. I've always imagined going with someone. 

Going with people makes all the difference in the world for sure.For my 1st, I rode in a bus from Manhattan to get there with these 30 ninjaswacky_gif-Image Enlarger

damn brother, that's what I'm talking about. Groups of us together, on a bus, heading to a gathering. The ride there would be an experience in itself. Whoops to this.

See if you can find some homies in the FLH forum that live near you, and then pool your money together to charter a bus there. Even if it costs a little extra, you won't regret it! smile

December 22, 2014
12:30 am
VeryTwiztidRaven
VeryTwiztidRaven
Members
Forum Posts: 492

The more I've thought about it, the more and more I love the idea of getting a hotel. Maybe I'm just getting old, but I love the idea of a clean, quiet place to shower, poop and sleep. I think I have lost my ability and desire to "gather hard" after this year.

In regard to the caution tape...does everyone here seriously think it's fucked up to want to camp near your friends? I have friends that I ONLY see at the Gathering, and I want to camp near them. It was never an issue at Hogrock since there was so much space. This year, we tried to stake out space for our friends, but our area got overwhelmed so quickly that we ended up scattered all over. So part of the time, I was at my site with the two friends I came with, and the other part of the time I was at two other camps with people who weren't able to camp with us. So instead of being with friends, I was surrounded with people I didn't know. I'm not an inherently trusting person, so I really disliked having strangers all up in my shit. It made me feel like I had to watch things so much more closely than I ever did at Hogrock. That's not a fun or comfortable feeling, which is why FOR ME, I think a hotel is a better option than camping in the same conditions.

And oh yeah, the rocks SUCKED. I actually found it easier to walk in the ditches since they were filled with layers of rocks, instead of just having one layer of rocks scattered on an otherwise flat surface.

-Jules

December 22, 2014
10:45 am
Carnivalkilla44
Members
Forum Posts: 3520

I kinda hear yall on the hotels. Has to be a nice hotel though. If it means sleeping in some 2 star crack shack vs. camping at GOTJ I'll stick with the camping.

December 22, 2014
11:20 am
scruffy
scruffy
Members

Moderators
Forum Posts: 11447

ill be the last one to get a hotel, im sure.  

dont get me wrong, it aint that i dont appreciate what benefits it may bring, its just that i dont have such a problem sleepin in a car for a few nights.  ive done it for much longer stretches.  

figure i dont sleep enough at the gathering to justify the extra time and cost.  

awfully paranoid, arent you?   

December 22, 2014
12:10 pm
Psyral
#ModBot
Members

Moderators
Forum Posts: 4297

VeryTwiztidRaven said
...In regard to the caution tape...does everyone here seriously think it's fucked up to want to camp near your friends? I have friends that I ONLY see at the Gathering, and I want to camp near them. It was never an issue at Hogrock since there was so much space. This year, we tried to stake out space for our friends, but our area got overwhelmed so quickly that we ended up scattered all over. So part of the time, I was at my site with the two friends I came with, and the other part of the time I was at two other camps with people who weren't able to camp with us. So instead of being with friends, I was surrounded with people I didn't know ...

I was surrounded by people I didn't know for like the first few hours, then I got to know them. Now I have new friends. And the list keeps on growing every gathering.

I will always be of the opinion that people need to "Gather Harder".

(click image for source)   Yeah.gif   (click image for source)
December 22, 2014
12:36 pm
scruffy
scruffy
Members

Moderators

LuckyNumbrXIII said
Yeah, I dunno.  Maybe it's cuz I've been overworked the past 3 years... but I just don't have it in me.  I recently sold my shares of my company to other members and got a new, much higher paying job ... so maybe with that will come more peace of mind and my eventual trek to the gathering.

it easier than you think.  

once youre in it, youre in it.  

December 22, 2014
12:47 pm
scruffy
scruffy
Members

Moderators

LuckyNumbrXIII said  
and suddenly I get a phone call which was my equivalent to Forrest Gump getting the "I don't need to worry about money no more.  Good, one less thing!" letter.    

those are always nice.  

December 22, 2014
4:13 pm
Psyral
#ModBot
Members

Moderators

LuckyNumbrXIII said
...So my dream of owning a home before I'm 30 is dead.  But my dream to own one by 35 is becoming a reality.  ...

Never had the dream of owning a house. I prefer to rent. When you get tired of a place, it's easy to pack up and move.

But.... Hold true to your dreams. If the Gathering is a hindrance to your dream of home ownership, then you have to hold off on the Gathering till it is absolutely not going to stop your dream. I would love to see you there this year. But I would love it more if you accomplish your goals. Just don't forget to have fun. :) 

December 22, 2014
7:02 pm
OCJ_Brendan
OCJ_Brendan
Springfield VA
Members
Forum Posts: 6148

You also accept a fuck ton of liability and expenses related to the property.  home owners insurance can help alot of this...but its pretty easy to end up face down ass up in real estate.  When a massive pipe failure happens I call the landlord and it gets fixed.  I pay my rent on time so he wont raise the rent...if he does I wont renew my lease at the higher rate and go on my merry way free of a flawed property...I intend to rent where I live but buy property of a different sort...but Im not giving away my investment strategy away...for free anyway...I wish I was smart enough to come up with it but im not I learned it from a professor at my school who was independently wealthy from a similar strategy...and from developing excel macros that help assess the profitability of flipping certain properties...,

"Somewhere theres a Waffle House thats severely understaffed right now" -OCJ to Scruffy watching a second stage act at the Gathering.

December 22, 2014
7:53 pm
Psyral
#ModBot
Members

Moderators

LuckyNumbrXIII said

Psyral Infection said

LuckyNumbrXIII said
...So my dream of owning a home before I'm 30 is dead.  But my dream to own one by 35 is becoming a reality.  ...

Never had the dream of owning a house. I prefer to rent. When you get tired of a place, it's easy to pack up and move.

When you rent, you 1.) have to follow someone else's rules, 2.) pay someone else's bills plus your own, and 3.) walk away with nothing.  

if you own a home and get tired of it, you sell it for hundreds of thousands (remember how i said market is ridiculously low right now) or rent it out to someone and have them pay the mortgage on your new home.  it's about building your worth and equity moreso than having things.  Last thing i want to do is die and leave my family with nothing.

I really don't understand the concept of building my worth. Maybe it's just a mental block on my part. I don't even understand the concept of land ownership either. It makes no sense to me that you can "own" a piece of anything of this universe. You can use it temporarily, but that is all.

I don't have an issue with your ideas. In fact, I think ideas, whether I agree or understand or not, are some of the most important things a person can have. Just letting you know how my mind works (or doesn't work).

December 22, 2014
8:05 pm
scruffy
scruffy
Members

Moderators

Psyral Infection said
I really don't understand the concept of building my worth. Maybe it's just a mental block on my part. I don't even understand the concept of land ownership either. It makes no sense to me that you can "own" a piece of anything of this universe. You can use it temporarily, but that is all.

I don't have an issue with your ideas. In fact, I think ideas, whether I agree or understand or not, are some of the most important things a person can have. Just letting you know how my mind works (or doesn't work).

okay, break it down this way:  

a particular piece of land is being used by bob.  for whatever reasons, it is agreed on by the laws that he has the right to decide how it is used.  that, in a nutshell, is 'ownership'.  

now, here comes alice.  she wants to be the one to have the right to temporarily use the land.  but bob has those rights now, so she must compensate him for them.  alice offers bob x dollars, if he accepts the price, he gives her the deed.  

thus, you really dont 'own' the land, you own a social contract that agrees that the [admittedly temporary] usage of the land is up to you to decide, within reasonable limits.  and that contract is worth money, but not a fixed amount of money.  if the land is well-sited or well-developed, then the rights to its use are consequently more valuable.  and thus, the real estate market.  

December 22, 2014
8:33 pm
Psyral
#ModBot
Members

Moderators

scruffy said 

okay, break it down this way:  

a particular piece of land is being used by bob.  for whatever reasons, it is agreed on by the laws that he has the right to decide how it is used.  that, in a nutshell, is 'ownership'.  

now, here comes alice.  she wants to be the one to have the right to temporarily use the land.  but bob has those rights now, so she must compensate him for them.  alice offers bob x dollars, if he accepts the price, he gives her the deed.  

thus, you really dont 'own' the land, you own a social contract that agrees that the [admittedly temporary] usage of the land is up to you to decide, within reasonable limits.  and that contract is worth money, but not a fixed amount of money.  if the land is well-sited or well-developed, then the rights to its use are consequently more valuable.  and thus, the real estate market.  

But who "owned" the land originally. The guy who first ran a fence around it? I just don't get the concept. I believe that social constructs have been created to give the illusion of ownership but I just don't buy into it. I live by the laws in the sense of "when in Rome" but I don't agree with the validity of it all. Even in the realm of money and value, I see it as an artificial construct. Yes, I use money because the society in which I live has made it mostly a necessity, but I never forget that its "reality" is only what others have agreed it is.

"Reality" is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes - My Life With The Thrill Kill Kult: Nervous Xians

December 22, 2014
8:42 pm
scruffy
scruffy
Members

Moderators

Psyral Infection said
But who "owned" the land originally. The guy who first ran a fence around it?

pretty much, yeah.  

I just don't get the concept. I believe that social constructs have been created to give the illusion of ownership but I just don't buy into it. I live by the laws in the sense of "when in Rome" but I don't agree with the validity of it all. Even in the realm of money and value, I see it as an artificial construct.

all constructs are, by definition, artificial.  

Yes, I use money because the society in which I live has made it mostly a necessity, but I never forget that its "reality" is only what others have agreed it is.

good.  

you are now as schooled as you need to be, to work in finance or money markets.  

all you need, is a natural inclination toward larceny.  

December 22, 2014
9:19 pm
OCJ_Brendan
OCJ_Brendan
Springfield VA
Members

LuckyNumbrXIII said
The government owns the land until you buy it from them.  Like I said, though... this isn't about owning things.  It's about building equity and worth.  And when I die, my daughter will hopefully get more property than debt.

Also, @ocj_brendan trust me... your professor didn't tell you all his tricks for free either. 

He didnt tell us any of his tricks actually just the super vague concept as a random intro we selected from a list of like 30 topics each week.  The class had nothing to do with any of them it was added value to make you come to class actually.  I looked into it myself after the fact.  He was one of those wealthy old dudes doing stuff to stay active so he taught senior operations management (a class about supply chain logistics).  The class had literally nothing to do with real estate.

"Somewhere theres a Waffle House thats severely understaffed right now" -OCJ to Scruffy watching a second stage act at the Gathering.

December 22, 2014
9:35 pm
OCJ_Brendan
OCJ_Brendan
Springfield VA
Members

Actually for the most part I totally agree with you about college professors especially at a huge state university like I went to. The part where I disagree is with adjuncts like the aforementioned guy for the stated reasons (in addition to a unique outlook on situations I took to him that semester and a handful of times later) and real life professionals in the field that take the job for extra income or benefits.

There is also occasionally the adjunct who really enjoys teaching cough *college girls* cough and in the process I score cool advice and contacts. I got two interviews (that I know of for sure because they mentioned it) because I have a federal judge's letter of recommendation in my resume (sure hes only an admin law judge but it still says Hon. such and such blah blah district court on it).

For the most part however they are a joke and college is a game.  Its a game I learned how to play and won...you have no idea how many classes I passed with statistically failing averages....just by kissing ass the right way ( or not usually for some reason they love that) and doing the stuff they subconsciously wanted just by being perceptive.  

December 22, 2014
9:46 pm
King Lucem Ferre
King Lucem Ferre
Members
Forum Posts: 9104

I owe 1500 to them shit heads and it got me no where! College is too expensive, especially when most of the teachers just give you a book to read and that's the class. I actually enjoyed learning things though.

December 22, 2014
10:12 pm
OCJ_Brendan
OCJ_Brendan
Springfield VA
Members

Now most teachers just paraphrase the book in power point or prezi format so books are useless except for writing papers (they almost always make you use the book as one of your sources).  The way around this is to rent one book per 4 or 5 people (this is easy as now all business classes require a team component now) and use it together.

I got through community college about breaking even when you consider money i netted from grants that I hustled to double.  then lost on bad habits... EDIT (I can take very little credit for the massive grants I received...my Mom and brother totally handled that for me by learning the system and being liberal on applications)

My degree made a difference of 15k starting a year and I spent about that on my bachelors (admitidly not valuing the time value of money for the time I spent or interest on my loans) so I consider it worth it...to each their own.

December 22, 2014
10:42 pm
King Lucem Ferre
King Lucem Ferre
Members
Forum Posts: 9104

I did half a year. I quit because I couldn't afford it and I couldn't apply for grants with out parental tax information. My parents didn't want to do this one simple thing for me, so I was SOL. I probably don't need their information now, buttfuckit. Though, I'm much happier working and shit. Don't regret going to school, I liked learning shit. Just don't like this debt, that I'm grateful is only 1500, looming over me.

So for me it is literally 1500 down the toilet.

Though, some how, with this past year, I've managed to always have a spare $100 in my bank account at all times. I don't feel comfortable with out it. Only time I didn't have a spare hundred is recently when I bought my older brother a vidgea game and controller for PS4 for his Bday. Gaming is expensive as hell these days, goddamn. Either way, I consider that an accomplishment.

No permission to create posts
Forum Timezone: America/Chicago

Most Users Ever Online: 591

Currently Online:
99 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

The Warlock: 11663

King Lucem Ferre: 9098

Old Mr Dangerous: 8974

krunk: 8060

OCJ_Brendan: 6148

Member Stats:

Guest Posters: 755

Members: 3743

Moderators: 6

Admins: 2

Forum Stats:

Groups: 5

Forums: 28

Topics: 12299

Newest Members:

Anthonyvub, GeraldMok, ArturodoOla, Charleszep, TylerBlegO

Moderators: GanjaGoblin: 2873, Psyral: 4297, bozodklown: 394, scruffy: 11447, PunkRockJuggalo: 6559, Pigg: 6492

Administrators: admin: 1, ScottieD: 845