April 18, 2024
37 Guests and Online

Please consider Sign Uping

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Sign Up

Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

sp_Feed Topic RSS GOTJ23
Something's happening here but you don't know what it is...
July 26, 2012
1:29 pm
wow a chick
wow a chick
Members
Forum Posts: 451
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

My husband and I love underground hip hop, but we also love the old shit. I mean the REAL old school shit. Like Steve Miller. Or, one of my favorites from many nights stealing Pop's vinyl, Mr. Bob Dylan.

Bear with me.

The other day, husband says, "You need to listen to Dylan's 'Ballad of a Thin Man.' It's like the perfect song to remind me of the hipster blogger media people at the gathering."

The song's basically about a reporter/academic/pseudointellectual who's trying to put a finger on 60s counter culture. The reporter "walks in a room with his pen and his pad..." and bascially finds himself immersed in an absurd world of circus freaks, drug use, and really weird shit (the verse about the midget who thinks he's a cow is especially bizarre). All the while our hero struggles to come up with something for his newspaper (or blog or whatever), overanalyzing everything. "What does this mean?" It's pretty funny. And pretty on point if you've ever run into any of the juggalo gathering "media tourists" (a fairly recent trend, since media was never allowed into or didn't care enough to cover the gathering until a few years back, with the whole 10th annual fiasco).

Anywho, I just finished listening to this classic Dylan track and wanted to share. I don't know if y'all have had the same experience with the hipster blogger folk. The past few years the media have been DEEP, taking all kinds of pictures and running up on people with mikes, shoving them in people's faces: "What does this, like, mean? Can you tell me what a scrub is?" The other year some chick in thick-rimmed glasses came up to me and said she was hosting a "juggalo spelling bee" for her podcast. She asked me to spell "horse." Now, I'm an editor by trade, so her assumption that I'd be a fucking idiot just cuz I'm a juggalo was way off. And pretty comical. Fortunately, my pimp hand is strong. But I choose to just walk away, like a lady.

Now I'm not crying or whining bout this phenomenon, so don't get it twisted. The attention we get is kind of cool. But, then again, on the flip side, it does make us increasingly scrutinized in the public eye. I've always thought there was a correlation between all that newfound media attention and the federal law enforcement's newfound interest in us with the whole FBI report. So I'm a little jaded about it. But perhaps I'm stretching the bounds of cause and effect here...

Bottom line is, something's happening here, and you don't know what it is. Do you, Mr. Jones...?  So no pictures, please.

Enjoy this classic:

July 26, 2012
2:06 pm
MmmmBrainz
MmmmBrainz
Members
Forum Posts: 548

Awesome post ... Quite relevant. Wonder who all will get what you're saying.

July 26, 2012
3:39 pm
Joeberg
Guests

I'm listening to the J interview from the main page and he goes on about the gang thing at around the 30:00 point.  It's all fucked up.  I understand the media attention.  It's a freak show.  Everyone loves a good freak show.  Then with all the attention of Miracles and Tila Tequila people started wondering what the fuck was going on out there.  Now that it's out there everybody wants to see what craziness is gonna happen next.  Things flew under the radar for a long time but those days are over now and aren't coming back

July 26, 2012
4:43 pm
DeeryLette
DeeryLette
Members
Forum Posts: 84

I think it may go away? Nothing is funny or a fad forever..

The way I look at it is I really don't care how the outside sees us. Their idea of it or their limited understanding doesn't define us. We define us  - and only to us. Not to others. 

Do you think its a gang? Then it is. Do you think we're a bunch of fools? Then we are. I'm not gonna try to change your mind. But most of the time, I respond to 99% of people the "what is a juggalo" type way, I say some complete nonsense. Its a really tight knit group of people who have all raped your mom's ass. Basically, I'm not gonna tell you and fuck you. :)

July 26, 2012
8:02 pm
wow a chick
wow a chick
Members

That's exactly what my crew does, Deery. The conversation went like:

Sociologist professor lady: What IS a juggalo?

My boy: Shit, I don't fuckin know. He eats monopoly and shits out connect four.

Lady: BE SERIOUS.

My boy:

OR (my personal favorite)

Hipster blogger chick: Can you guys please tell me what it's like to be a "scrub"? What's that represent?

My homie: You want to tell us what it's like to be a spoiled rich girl from the suburbs who's been in college for the past 7 years and is here to judge people and shit so you can look smart on the internet? Why don't you go fuck yourself…

<chick starts walking off>

Random ninja: Let me see your ass!

…good times…

July 26, 2012
8:15 pm
scruffy
scruffy
Members

Moderators
Forum Posts: 11447

i wish a sociologist would ask me to break down the life.  i'd work them til i had some trust, then flip the shit and turn THEM into a science project. 

id even write a thesis paper...

'The Effects Of Social Bias Against Autodidactic Subcultures In Academia:  A Study In Shitheadedness.' 

awfully paranoid, arent you?   

July 26, 2012
8:24 pm
wow a chick
wow a chick
Members

Lol. You know, I did just that for a while. The sociologist lady used to come to Philly and NYC shows. She sent me a bunch of her articles, all from scholarly journals. Some of it wasn't all bad. J even let her come backstage and have an interview during Wicked Wonka. But she had this one article that vividly described and analyzed a GWAR show using ridiculously big words. I mean, just over the top trying to sound smart. Coupled with, you know, Slimenstra hymen shooting cum into the crowd and munching down on a 3 foot tampon, it was kind of funny. Ok. Really fucking funny. When I even suggested this to her, she stopped talking to me entirely. If I can find it somewhere, I'll definitely have to post it. 

July 26, 2012
8:30 pm
scruffy
scruffy
Members

Moderators
Forum Posts: 11447

fresh.  id love to read that stuff.

awfully paranoid, arent you?   

July 27, 2012
4:22 am
MmmmBrainz
MmmmBrainz
Members
Forum Posts: 548

scruffy said:

fresh.  id love to read that stuff.

This'd

July 28, 2012
5:50 am
sickest
sickest
Members
Forum Posts: 62

keep it in the clique fuck the outside.  shit is changing.

Forum Timezone: America/Chicago

Most Users Ever Online: 591

Currently Online:
41 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

The Warlock: 11663

King Lucem Ferre: 9098

Old Mr Dangerous: 8974

krunk: 8060

OCJ_Brendan: 6148

Member Stats:

Guest Posters: 755

Members: 3743

Moderators: 6

Admins: 2

Forum Stats:

Groups: 5

Forums: 28

Topics: 12299

Newest Members:

Philipesodo, JaneHor, THC Drinks, Jammek, GloriaIcome

Moderators: GanjaGoblin: 2873, Psyral: 4297, bozodklown: 394, scruffy: 11447, PunkRockJuggalo: 6559, Pigg: 6492

Administrators: admin: 1, ScottieD: 845