May 5, 2024
58 Guests and 1 Member Online

Please consider Sign Uping

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Sign Up

Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

No permission to create posts
sp_Feed Topic RSS GOTJ23
New guy here - a hello and kid-related GOTJ question.
March 8, 2014
4:40 pm
entrappedmind
entrappedmind
Members
Forum Posts: 696
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Been lurking here off and on for awhile, finally decided to sign up and post since this year's going to be my first Gathering. So greetings, salutations.. Er.. That probably won't fly. Whoop whoop! That better? Heh, anyways...

As I said, this year is going to be my first GOTJ. Not only that, it's gonna be my first ICP show since the 13 I went to in the late 90's. I felt right at home in the crowd back then, but I've gotta say it feels like it may be a challenge to bring out my inner Juggalo that's been in hiding for over a damned decade.

Son of a... I keep going off on tangents. OKAY. First GOTJ. Yeah. It's also going to be my son's first Gathering. His first ICP show. Actually, his second concert ever (First was Head 2 Hed last year in Cleveland). He's still figuring out what it all means to be a Juggalo, so I figured what better way to teach him than to show him?

So... My question is this: How do I balance letting him learn what this is all about with being a (mostly) responsible parent? He's 14, as we all know a 14-year-old today is as knowledgeable as a 16 or 17 year old back in the 90's (especially in regard to shit parents would prefer they're not heh); but with that being said I'd prefer keeping the wrong kind of exposure to a minimum - if possible - if that makes sense.

Long-ass story short - if we don't stay out beyond 1 or 2 am, keep out of sketchy tents, and I keep an eye on him - should the Gathering be a father/son-friendly event?

March 8, 2014
5:17 pm
King Lucem Ferre
King Lucem Ferre
Members
Forum Posts: 9104

You could do drugs and have sex with your son. I mean, not have sex with your son but have sex while your son is having sex too. Like tag team a stinky lette. While on drugs. Seems like perfect father and son bonding time to me.

March 8, 2014
5:23 pm
scruffy
scruffy
Members

Moderators
Forum Posts: 11447

salutations.  

speaking personally, i usually recommend that juggalos dont bring children.  

that said, a fourteen year-old is probably not a child.  some are, but most, i would think, can handle the chaos and general, uh, adultness, of a gathering.  especially if their juggalo parent is right there.  

plenty of fourteen year-olds have shown up at the gathering with nobody else.  i dont approve of that, either, but it happens.  

mainly, id only be concerned about drugs and/or alcohol, followed by physical safety.  not to say hed be in direct danger;  but, for example, if hes not prepared for slamdancing, the gathering is not a good place to learn.  

awfully paranoid, arent you?   

March 8, 2014
5:27 pm
Cheshyr
Cheshyr
Members
Forum Posts: 1853

As long as you don't expect anyone else to apologize for having their own good time, don't mind copious nudity and walking through smoke clouds and beer burps without a nasty look on your face... We're all friends at the Gathering.(Family duh) Just act like ya know. Don't want none, won't be none. But I'd have that birds and the bees convo before you leave the house :P

Everybody's gonna be brand new at this year's. People got real comfy familiar with the way stuff works at Cave-In after so many years but this year we're all in the same boat. You'd have to go looking for trouble to get in it is my thinkin'. IMHO

"Your lack of online social presence makes it difficult for me to predict your needs..." - 2064: Read Only Memories

March 8, 2014
5:36 pm
entrappedmind
entrappedmind
Members

Lucem:

Um... Yeah... I think I'll leave that at the bottom of the to-do list. Like, WAY down. After "volunteer to be afflicted with colon cancer". Thanks for the suggestion, though. I think.

scruffy:

I'm figuring along the same lines. He's a kid. A punk-ass kid, but a kid - as opposed to "child". Heh. That's kinda the reasoning behind this: I know it's something he'd do without me, given the opportunity; but this at least gives me the chance to explain things from an adult's perspective rather than allow him to develop an opinion that may be misguided due to immaturity. In regards to both alcohol and drugs, he knows he wouldn't get away with it even if he were to sneak it right under my nose - nor does he even have any interest in either (to my knowledge, anyhow). As I mentioned, he went to Head 2 Hed with me a year ago - I protected him from the pit during American Head Charge, let him take the edge of the pit himself during hedPE, and actually shoved him into the pit during Mushroomhead. He handled himself admirably - I was proud heh.

Thank you for the response, scruffy. I think both he and I are fully prepared for what we'll find. If not, well, hello learning experience!

EDIT: Thanks, Cheshyr - I was typing when your reply came through. That's part of the reason I decided this is the year to do it - the new spot's hours closer and I figured I wouldn't look lost seeing as how it'll be new to everyone. Well, the fact that it starts on my birthday didn't hurt the decision process, either!

March 8, 2014
5:39 pm
King Lucem Ferre
King Lucem Ferre
Members

I guess that might count as pedophilia. Not for you, but for that stinky pedo bitch that you and your son tag teamed.

March 8, 2014
5:40 pm
scruffy
scruffy
Members

Moderators

aint no thang.  

the other side of the coin is, that you yourself are likely to have your mind blown during the event, so, youll want to allow for that, as well.  

March 8, 2014
5:40 pm
King Lucem Ferre
King Lucem Ferre
Members

God.

March 8, 2014
5:46 pm
entrappedmind
entrappedmind
Members

Nah, scruffy. I know my limits alcohol-wise, been around that block way too many times not to. And as far as drugs, I've been clean almost 15 years, so I won't have to worry about that. Waiting for retirement to reacquaint myself with my old friend Mary Jane.

Lucem, that's some funny shit man... Yeesh heh.

March 8, 2014
5:51 pm
entrappedmind
entrappedmind
Members

Side note: Either y'all have a registration-bot or ad-bot issue, or people use some weird ass usernames nowadays...

Newest Members: entrappedmind, carpinteyroaer, Alebohavew, Weapymavy, eagedgela, Alefogazea

March 8, 2014
5:52 pm
scruffy
scruffy
Members

Moderators

entrappedmind said
Nah, scruffy. I know my limits alcohol-wise, been around that block way too many times not to. And as far as drugs, I've been clean almost 15 years, so I won't have to worry about that. Waiting for retirement to reacquaint myself with my old friend Mary Jane.

just so i know you know, i didnt mean 'mind blown', as in 'wasted'.  i meant as in, 'holy fuckin shit this shit is fuckin crazy!!!'  

that kinda mind blown.  

March 8, 2014
5:54 pm
scruffy
scruffy
Members

Moderators

entrappedmind said
Side note: Either y'all have a registration-bot or ad-bot issue, or people use some weird ass usernames nowadays...  

yeah.  but they are fairly benign, these days.  the bots used to be a lot worse.  

i am not a robot.  

March 8, 2014
6:22 pm
entrappedmind
entrappedmind
Members

Oh, hell, misinterpreted you. My fault. Yeah, I doubt THAT can be avoided. The only festivals I've gone to were the first few Ozzfest's, and always thought they were a bit too tame. I sincerely doubt I'll have the same opinion of the Gathering. Been looking forward to this since the Gathering started, so hopefully my expectations aren't TOO high - pretty sure it'll live up to them and then some. Really appreciate the input, you've helped me set my mind at ease that I'm not crazy for doing this - that no, he's not too young. Now I just have to convince my body that I'm not too goddamned OLD.

March 8, 2014
8:09 pm
Psyral
#ModBot
Members

Moderators
Forum Posts: 4297

We took our 13(almost 14) year old daughter with us 2 years ago due to problems scheduling my parents to babysit her. As you can see from the picture she was not happy in this picture cause we had just told her she couldn't run off by herself. They state minors have to accompanied by parents or guardians at all times.
She did have fun through most of it, but it does make things a little more restrictive.
7782449666_0c8c15d3a8_b.jpgImage Enlarger

(click image for source)   Yeah.gif   (click image for source)
March 8, 2014
8:27 pm
Old Mr Dangerous
Old Mr Dangerous
Members
Forum Posts: 9043

That's an awesome photo, Psyral. I'm only judging you for having differently colored fingernails lol

March 8, 2014
8:55 pm
Psyral
#ModBot
Members

Moderators

Yeah, it's hard to keep nails clean at the gathering. And I didn't take that photo. A friend of mine saw it online and told me I was in a gathering photo album online. I am also in the Fuse Inside the Gathering of the Juggalos Mini Documentary from last year. I was interviewed for about 10 minutes but they only showed about 3 seconds of it. It's from 8:40 to 8:43 into it. That wasn't one of my best face paints either, but oh well.

March 8, 2014
8:58 pm
Old Mr Dangerous
Old Mr Dangerous
Members

Psyral Infection said
Yeah, it's hard to keep nails clean at the gathering. And I didn't take that photo. A friend of mine saw it online and told me I was in a gathering photo album online. I am also in the Fuse Inside the Gathering of the Juggalos Mini Documentary from last year. I was interviewed for about 10 minutes but they only showed about 3 seconds of it. It's from 8:40 to 8:43 into it. That wasn't one of my best face paints either, but oh well.

I actually admired the paint. So if that's your worst, then I must witness da best.

March 8, 2014
9:16 pm
Psyral
#ModBot
Members

Moderators

Not sure if this is my best but it is the one my wife likes the best
abk.jpgImage Enlarger

March 8, 2014
9:23 pm
Old Mr Dangerous
Old Mr Dangerous
Members

That's superb. . I'll show you my own ABK GOTJ paint when I get da chance

March 8, 2014
11:01 pm
entrappedmind
entrappedmind
Members

Psyral:

I second that, great photo, and great paint work! Impressive, my friend. I have no intentions whatsoever of letting him wander off. Hell, with the little concert experience he has under his belt, I doubt he'd be confident in his own ability to survive solo - so it shouldn't even be a battle I have to face.

This does bring to mind another question though... I have zero artistic ability, but I'm guessing if he wanted paint I wouldn't have a problem finding someone to paint him up. Am I right?

No permission to create posts
Forum Timezone: America/Chicago

Most Users Ever Online: 591

Currently Online: The Warlock
47 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

The Warlock: 11663

King Lucem Ferre: 9098

Old Mr Dangerous: 8974

krunk: 8060

OCJ_Brendan: 6148

Member Stats:

Guest Posters: 755

Members: 3743

Moderators: 6

Admins: 2

Forum Stats:

Groups: 5

Forums: 28

Topics: 12299

Newest Members:

Claudemak, wopkoxzx, joette850, rizkowz, Denniscleme

Moderators: GanjaGoblin: 2873, Psyral: 4297, bozodklown: 394, scruffy: 11447, PunkRockJuggalo: 6559, Pigg: 6492

Administrators: admin: 1, ScottieD: 845