April 25, 2024
82 Guests and Online

Please consider Sign Uping

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Sign Up

Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

Hatchetman
The Midnight Syndicate lawsuit from 2015.
December 6, 2021
8:38 pm
vinyllover
Members
Forum Posts: 1218
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

https://faygoluvers.net/v5/2015/04/psychopathic-records-denies-copyright-lawsuit-by-midnight-syndicate/

It has been six years since the SECOND lawsuit Midnight Syndicate filed back in 2015 (the first suit was filed in 2011 and ICP settled out of court). Well February 2015 to be exact. I've looked around google for anything about this case after 2015. Nothing. Was there another settlement? Chuck Reeves was saying years ago on Tales from the Lotus Podcast show that this lawsuit would break Psychopathic Records and that they would fold. Meaning Twiztid could finally talk and reveal what they were prevented from doing due to the NDA they signed when they left in 2012.

December 6, 2021
11:45 pm
BZA
BZA
Members
Forum Posts: 767

Didn't they have to display ads for them on their site

December 7, 2021
8:00 am
m0sh
m0sh
Members
Forum Posts: 320

Psychopathic & even MNE continue to steal music from Midnight Syndicate lol it's most likely the producers that are to blame, both Mike P & Otis sample them often.

December 7, 2021
11:59 am
PanickinMannequin
PanickinMannequin
Members
Forum Posts: 70

Just listened to “Haunted Nursery” by midnight syndicate and then the mirror/mirror intro. They literally stole it. Did they figure they’d never catch wind of it? Really telling in regards to the general laziness of rappers.

December 7, 2021
1:24 pm
Chevy2Dope
Members
Forum Posts: 887

PanickinMannequin said
Just listened to “Haunted Nursery” by midnight syndicate and then the mirror/mirror intro. They literally stole it. Did they figure they’d never catch wind of it? Really telling in regards to the general laziness of rappers.  

Yeah it really is crazy how much of a rip off it is on Mirror/Mirror as well as parts in Hell's Pit. They've just straight copied from Midnight Syndicate. It's one thing to (legally) use samples to build on or give proper credit to the original artist, but I honestly can't wrap my head around how they didn't consider running into legal troubles for the use of Midnight Syndicate's music without their permission. It's not like ICP or Twiztid are completely unheard of, they're big enough for this kind of shit to be noticed. 

I also wonder if Twiztid or ICP were aware those beats had entirely stolen bits from Midnight Syndicate. Fritz produced Mirror/Mirror and Mike P produced the Hell's Pit tracks that are in question, so that's why I wonder if Twiztid or ICP had any awareness or if they were just like "damn, this shit sounds cool!"

December 8, 2021
12:55 pm
BillBurr
Members
Forum Posts: 146

Same is true of the Heartbroken & Homicidal intro, its lifted from Jimmy Page soundtrack Lucifer Rising

It depends on what the lawsuit is in regards to. I remember hearing it was because they stole all the background music/noise for the Jumpsteady storytelling album 'The Road'. For something like that (a release with insignificant impact/success) a lawsuit would do little more than cease production of the album.

Now if they're suing for music used on a legitimate icp project, like Hell's Pit...that would be much more problematic & damaging.

December 8, 2021
2:16 pm
Chevy2Dope
Members
Forum Posts: 887

BillBurr said
Same is true of the Heartbroken & Homicidal intro, its lifted from Jimmy Page soundtrack Lucifer Rising

It depends on what the lawsuit is in regards to. I remember hearing it was because they stole all the background music/noise for the Jumpsteady storytelling album 'The Road'. For something like that (a release with insignificant impact/success) a lawsuit would do little more than cease production of the album.

Now if they're suing for music used on a legitimate icp project, like Hell's Pit...that would be much more problematic & damaging.  

It's been 2 different lawsuits. One was for the Jumpsteady thing and the other for the other stuff like Twiztid/Dark Lotus/Hell's Pit. The information I'm finding about the non-Jumpsteady lawsuit was that it was settled out of court. 

December 9, 2021
6:30 am
vinyllover
Members
Forum Posts: 1218

Chevy2Dope said

It's been 2 different lawsuits. One was for the Jumpsteady thing and the other for the other stuff like Twiztid/Dark Lotus/Hell's Pit. The information I'm finding about the non-Jumpsteady lawsuit was that it was settled out of court.   

Correct.
https://www.cleveland.com/court-justice/2015/02/chardon_band_files_copyright_l.html

The Midnight Syndicate is the name used by keyboardists and composers Edward Douglas and Gavin Goszka. It formed in 1998 and is known for its gothic-themed soundtracks, used worldwide in movies, video games and haunted houses. The band also sued Insane Clown Posse in 2011 for copyright violations. The case was settled out of court.

I couldn't find anything about this second case. Has anyone? So far, I have to assume no.

December 9, 2021
6:47 pm
jiggles the clown
Members
Forum Posts: 1929

If it was settled out of court we can assume they both agreed to not talk about it anymore so they're both happy-ish with the terms and nobody wants to make the other or themselves look bad 

quote me to trigger a Canadian child molester

December 10, 2021
8:05 am
PanickinMannequin
PanickinMannequin
Members
Forum Posts: 70

jiggles the clown said
If it was settled out of court we can assume they both agreed to not talk about it anymore so they're both happy-ish with the terms and nobody wants to make the other or themselves look bad   

True. If anything they did midnight syndicate a favor. All they had to do was notice, hire a lawyer and get paid.

December 16, 2021
8:41 pm
Missile_Toe
Missile_Toe
Members
Forum Posts: 365

🎶Can't You See Those Sugar Plums🎶

9 Days Till 🎅 ⏰ 

Forum Timezone: America/Chicago

Most Users Ever Online: 591

Currently Online:
84 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

The Warlock: 11663

King Lucem Ferre: 9098

Old Mr Dangerous: 8974

krunk: 8060

OCJ_Brendan: 6148

Member Stats:

Guest Posters: 755

Members: 3743

Moderators: 6

Admins: 2

Forum Stats:

Groups: 5

Forums: 28

Topics: 12299

Newest Members:

winin84724, Nelsonprato, Weed Tinctures, DavidLem, MichaelDes

Moderators: GanjaGoblin: 2873, Psyral: 4297, bozodklown: 394, scruffy: 11447, PunkRockJuggalo: 6559, Pigg: 6492

Administrators: admin: 1, ScottieD: 845