April 19, 2024
74 Guests and Online

Please consider Sign Uping

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Sign Up

Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

No permission to create posts
sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_Related Related Topics GOTJ23
UPCHUCK THA CLOWN gets interviewed about his podcast!
March 16, 2016
10:55 pm
Miklo Velka
Miklo Velka
Members
Forum Posts: 3593
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Veteran GOTJ comedy host @upchuckthaclown aka Joel Fragomeni got interviewed about his long-running podcast recently.

The interview was conducted by the website All Access Music Group, which covers the radio industry-

Broadcaster Meets Podcaster

By Seth Resler

Podcasting And Stand Up Comedy: Q&A With Joel Fragomeni

March 8, 2016

Joel Fragomeni is a stand-up comedian and podcaster based out of Ferndale, MI. His podcast was among the first on the internet and the first by a working stand-up up comic. A complete archive of all of his shows can be found at his website.

Image Enlarger

Image Enlarger

1. You were the first comedian to do a podcast. How did you get into podcasting?

Myself and another Detroit-area Comedian, Corey Hall, were always having really funny phone conversations about all kinds of arcane topics and we thought it would make a good morning radio show. So after seeing an ad from a local station looking for on-air talent, we borrowed some equipment and recorded a demo on a 4-track cassette. We sent it in and heard nothing back. We tabled our dreams of being radio stars and went back to our comedy careers. This was sometime in 2003.

Then late in 2004, I read an article about people making "podcasts," so I said to Corey, "Hey, we can make that radio show now and distribute it on the internet." At this time, we were still thinking this was all a demo for commercial radio. By early 2005, I had read enough about how to do it, that we marched down to Guitar Center with a $300 check from a comedy gig and bought some equipment. We plugged the mikes and mixer into my computer and recorded our first show that night. That was in March of 2005. You can still download that one!

2. What was the reception from other comics when you started? How have you seen other comics embrace podcasting over the years?

At first, it was mostly comics as our guests, so we'd have a great time getting drunk and telling road stories on the show. We were basically recording the same conversations that we'd have with our co-workers after shows at a diner or something, just making ourselves laugh. Eventually, other comics asked me for advice on doing their own shows. I've helped out a few over the years, including Jimmy Pardo, who started his show after guesting on mine, and he still does it to this day. So Jimmy should get a lot of credit for being a pioneer, too. His show is quite popular - much more than mine!

Now almost every big-name comic has a podcast and it's comics like Marc Maron that most people associate with the format. I'm sure much of the public thinks comedians invented podcasting, but it really all started with me!

3. How has the format of your show evolved over the years?

The biggest change is that the show was originally "The Corey and Joel Radio Show," but Corey got burned out, so it just became "Joel Radio" and I did a bunch of them by myself or with other people. Eventually, Corey came back to co-host, but now I have the flexibility of doing the show with whoever I want, whenever I want, which is really nice. So it's my solo podcast now, but I'm much more comfortable and more funny doing the show as a team.

In the beginning, we were doing multiple shows in a week and limiting the length to 60 or 70 minutes so people could burn the show to a CD. That's how many people were listening back then, as iPods were expensive and the first smartphone wouldn't come out for a few years. Now the show can be as long as I want - it's usually 90 minutes to two hours - as people can listen much more easily. I also do it less frequently, but with a longer run time; it's the same amount of show.

And over the years I've done lots of experimenting with the format. I recorded the first live stand-up comedy show as a podcast, recorded from various live events like comedy festivals, did a "Roast" of myself and Corey as a podcast, and a million other wacky things. It's fun to get out of the home studio and do the show wherever I want. With the technology now, I can do a studio-quality podcast from almost anywhere.

4. How has the podcasting changed in the time that you've been doing it?

It's become mainstream now, and for many people has completely replaced radio as a form of entertainment on the go. It's ironic that I started a podcast to get into radio, when now so many people are going the other direction.

It's also so much easier to distribute the shows and get people to listen. When I started in this there was no iTunes for podcasts! When they added podcasts my show was one of the only comedy shows on there and we got a ton of new listeners from all over the world. There was a real novelty to the whole thing. People would email and say they were listening in Australia, Germany, wherever. Now if you started a show it would be really hard to get anyone to listen because there's just so many shows.

Another thing is that it's not just people doing them in their house anymore. Big broadcast outfits like ESPN and Comedy Central are distributing their shows as podcasts now, so it's really hard for the little guys to get noticed. My show never got really big, but it's got a small, loyal following. I credit that to starting it early and being consistent with the frequency of the shows and the quality. I can't imagine trying to start a podcast now. I think for most people it's too frustrating to find an audience, so most of them quit.

5. What impact has the podcast had on your comedy career?

As a promotional tool, I think it's somewhat overrated. Podcast and stand up comedy shows have different audiences. Podcasts are usually being listened to by most people alone in their cars or with earbuds, and stand-up comedy is an activity that is best enjoyed by people in large groups. Still, Marc Maron, Bill Burr, and Adam Carrola have become much bigger comics from their shows, but I think that's the exception more than the rule.

There's also been some geographic challenges as I've toured mostly in the Midwest of America and people are listening all over the world. I'd love to do comedy shows wherever there are fans of the podcast, but that's not always possible. Still, I've had many people come out to my shows because they are fans of the podcast. There's even one crazy German guy who flew all the way to Detroit to come to some live shows because he liked the podcast so much! A real nut! I love that guy.

Mostly, though, I think doing a podcast has benefited my comedy career as many of my bits have grown out of conversations on the show and it's given me the freedom to be a little more conversational on stage. Stand-up should be a routine - carefully written and honed to a point - but you also want it to sound like you're having a conversation with a friend. That's something I've been lucky to do on my show for the last eleven years. And I see no reason to stop in the future.

http://tupac2.allaccess.com/po.....-with-joel

Whoop Whoop Miklo Velka :

Psyral
March 17, 2016
1:05 pm
Miklo Velka
Miklo Velka
Members
March 17, 2016
1:23 pm
OCJ_Brendan
OCJ_Brendan
Springfield VA
Members
Forum Posts: 6148

*Tumbleweeds*

"Somewhere theres a Waffle House thats severely understaffed right now" -OCJ to Scruffy watching a second stage act at the Gathering.

March 17, 2016
1:32 pm
Miklo Velka
Miklo Velka
Members

OCJ_Brendan said
*Tumbleweeds*

Thanks for that.

Maybe you could direct me to the shit hot thread you started recently.

I won't hold my breath.

smile

March 17, 2016
1:41 pm
OCJ_Brendan
OCJ_Brendan
Springfield VA
Members

Y

Miklo Velka said

OCJ_Brendan said
*Tumbleweeds*

Thanks for that.

Maybe you could direct me to the shit hot thread you started recently.

I won't hold my breath.

smile

its so easy to provoke you its like kicking a retard...This thread is boring and not hot at all.  Here comes the mouth breathing flames of retardor because remember kids Miklo cannot ever let anyone compromise his internet persona so he must respond to all perceived disses.  Ill let you get back to tounging Upchuck's balls...thats all for me on this thread have at it and me fuck boi.

"Somewhere theres a Waffle House thats severely understaffed right now" -OCJ to Scruffy watching a second stage act at the Gathering.

March 17, 2016
1:58 pm
Miklo Velka
Miklo Velka
Members

OCJ_Brendan said
its so easy to provoke you its like kicking a retard...This thread is boring and not hot at all.  Here comes the mouth breathing flames of retardor because remember kids Miklo cannot ever let anyone compromise his internet persona so he must respond to all perceived disses.  Ill let you get back to tounging Upchuck's balls...thats all for me on this thread have at it and me fuck boi.

From what I remember you have always been an Upchuck hater.

Don't understand why Upchuck getting some shine has got you all pissy.

Hey, maybe someday the local rag in your town will profile you, and all the hard work you've been putting in at Trader Joe's!

Keep ya head up, kid.

smile

March 17, 2016
2:34 pm
Miklo Velka
Miklo Velka
Members

the_smack said
what's trader joe's??

It's a grocery store chain in the states, OCJ has been puttin in work there like a champ for many a moon.

Last year OCJ revealed to us that he got promoted to head bagger, he seemed pretty pleased with himself about that.

I think he even hooked up his girl with a job there jockeying a cash register.

cool

March 17, 2016
2:39 pm
Psyral
#ModBot
Members

Moderators
Forum Posts: 4297

I like @upchuckthaclown . I respect him for holding it down with Juggalos at the gathering even though he get tons of shit for it.

Whoop Whoop Psyral :

Miklo Velka
(click image for source)   Yeah.gif   (click image for source)
March 17, 2016
3:50 pm
GanjaGoblin
215, PA
Members

Moderators
Forum Posts: 2886

Upchuck don't like it when you honk his horn.

Whoop Whoop GanjaGoblin :

OCJ_Brendan

IMG_20230801_214952_500_x_150_pixel.jpg

March 17, 2016
7:17 pm
Miklo Velka
Miklo Velka
Members

the_smack said
cool a little bit of research  into trader joe's is a place where bananas have been the same price since they opened 19 cents each and they will never charge more than 19 cents a banana ever.

sounds kind of expensive thoe I get my bananas at about 39 cents a pound here and can get 6 bananas for under a canadian dollar the same price at trader joe's would be 1.20$ American.

but they have a motto where you can take anything off the shelf and ask them to make it for you and they will let you taste it for free.

Intense.

I think Trader Joe's is like the Starbucks of grocery stores down there- not cheap, and stocked with better quality product than it's competitors.

OCJ is planning on making it a career there, so the pay must be ok.

cig

March 17, 2016
10:41 pm
OCJ_Brendan
OCJ_Brendan
Springfield VA
Members

miklo-velka:  I have really trying to abstain from feeding trolls here recently but I've gotta say its so damn cute you remember so much about me.  Seriously dude its an honor to be stalked by such a sad person.  I want you to have your shrine/file on me accurate so I gotta correct a few things.

1:  I have always been an Upchuck hater until he came on here and defended himself really well and I apologized to him.  I still don't like him glombing onto the Juggles and also the Gathering but do respect what he brought to the comedy aspect especially.  The article you posted was boring because even though he used a pic from the Gathering there was no mention at all of his association with Psychopathic.

2: Im not head bagger at Trader Joe's sadly.  They don't trust me not to smash bread and bananas yet so I'm actually head cart guy...Well I'm second in charge to that machine that pushes them automatically but if that gets promoted then I'm in like flynn..Ive got my fingers crossed I could really use the 10 cent raise....

3: I didn't meet my woman there, I got her a second job there because I'm not man enough to put a ring on her finger and she needed bomb ass cheap health insurance which they provide...

There we go now you can obsess over me accurately I'm really glad you adore me so it makes me feel squishy inside.  My point remains though, only a couple people have posted on this lame ass thread its actually better now that is a diss thread to me lol.

Oh yeah and before he tries this lame card @the_positive_smack I did indeed fail when it came to my gathering review I wanted to do last year.  I never got it anywhere near the professional level this site would deserve so I have it on ice.  Several people on here saw and helped with it and liked it, but unless I find a way to step it up it'll never get put on the main site....I tried and failed, but did get you to melt the fuck down with a single post so there is that lol.

Goodnight folks f-u

Whoop Whoop OCJ_Brendan :

CellE2057

March 18, 2016
3:03 pm
Miklo Velka
Miklo Velka
Members

OCJ_Brendan said
  Seriously dude its an honor to be stalked

Ain't no stalking going on here, kiddo.

I just happened to remember you waving your dick around here in the forum, talking about your promotion at work.

Also, let's get our facts straight.

You were the OG troll in this thread with your "Tumbleweeds" comment, don't try to project that shit onto me.

And I never said you met your girl at Trader Joe's, I said you hooked her up with a job there.

Don't be flattered that I remember most of the shit you post here, this forum is dead most of the day.

It really isn't that hard to read everybody's posts.

Minimal effort is required.

cig

March 18, 2016
4:39 pm
scruffy
scruffy
Members

Moderators
Forum Posts: 11447

Miklo Velka said
Also, let's get our facts straight.
You were the OG troll in this thread with your "Tumbleweeds" comment, don't try to project that shit onto me.

brendan was more or less on point, though.  nobody had anything to say til after his comment. 

yourself included.  seven miklo posts in this thread;  only one that was actually about upchuck [and that was copy/paste material].  illustrates where your priorities are. 

anyways, in an effort to salvage the thread, on to the supposed topic... 

seems to me like there is a subset of juggalos that just chose to hate on upchuck, and thats that.  not real surprising, since juggalos are like that with just about anybody. 

to echo psyral, i like the guy.  not that ive hung out with him or anything, but ive talked to him a couple dozen times.  he clearly doesnt hate us, thats a plus.  and he goes to work to entertain us at gatherings.  not an easy job. 

Whoop Whoop scruffy :

Split, OCJ_Brendan

awfully paranoid, arent you?   

March 18, 2016
8:34 pm
Members
Forum Posts: 1579

OCJ_Brendan said

Oh yeah and before he tries this lame card @the_positive_smack I did indeed fail when it came to my gathering review I wanted to do last year.  I never got it anywhere near the professional level this site would deserve so I have it on ice. 

I would gladly write a story about a Gathering experience, even though it's been done a few times now by various people. Meaningless to mention, I usually carry a journal with me wherever I go, along with throwaway cameras and extra pens. Just in case there's a thought that passes through my head that I want to remember later, or if I see something random on my path and I want a picture of it. I'm one of those people who have been documenting their life since High School, with no real reason why. I just write, about everything. It's just natural to me.

If I actually applied myself, pulled my head out of my ass, I could probably go to college for writing, become that video game reviewer idea I've always toyed around with. But I never do, and that's on me. I publish poetry, and that's all I really want to share with the world, I think. If writing ever became a chore to me, that would be a sad day.

Just felt like sharing that.

Whoop Whoop 86 :

King Lucem Ferre

"I Just Wanna Hide Inside My Own Private Hell"- Boondox

March 18, 2016
10:32 pm
Miklo Velka
Miklo Velka
Members

scruffy said

brendan was more or less on point, though.  nobody had anything to say til after his comment. 

No actually, your boy was not "on point".

I started this thread late at night, and it immediately gut buried off the front page due to a strange flurry of forum activity.

So, I decided to bump it the next afternoon to give Upchuck some much-needed shine.

Mere minutes later, OCJ weighs in with his "Tumbleweeds" jab, a post he could throw in any number of dead ass threads here in the forum.

But no, OCJ saw an opening to shit on Upchuck, and he took it.

So I point out that OCJ hasn't added any cool threads here recently(if ever?), and it sets the kid off on a tantrum.

I even praised the hard work he is putting in as a grocer, and the dude takes it as an insult.

cig

March 18, 2016
11:51 pm
scruffy
scruffy
Members

Moderators
Forum Posts: 11447

Miklo Velka said
But no, OCJ saw an opening to shit on Upchuck, and he took it.  

yeah.  sure.  that was his motivation.  right. 

swingandamiss... 

I even praised the hard work he is putting in as a grocer, and the dude takes it as an insult.

yeah, you certainly werent tryin to be insulting.  right. 

youre a trust fund kid, arent you?  got everything handed to you, so you shit on people that have to earn their lives, that kinda thing.  thats you, innit?  seems like it. 

scruffy said

yourself included.  seven miklo posts in this thread;  only one that was actually about upchuck [and that was copy/paste material].  illustrates where your priorities are.

plus one. 

yeah, i dont think you are nearly as concerned with upchucks 'shine', as you are with bein a dick.  only thing youve said about him at all, is that he needs shine ['much-needed', in fact].  and even in that sentence, you were primarily talkin bout yourself. 

if you, yourself, dont even have anything at all to say about upchuck, maybe you shouldnt be braggin on this thread like it means sumn.  and you really shouldnt be talkin shit when nobody else has anything to say about him, either. 

Whoop Whoop scruffy :

awfully paranoid, arent you?   

March 19, 2016
12:30 am
OCJ_Brendan
OCJ_Brendan
Springfield VA
Members

The real and only point to be addressed here is that I'm right and no one gives a fuck about Upchuck lol.  I didn't read whatever Miklo had to respond with aside from the parts Scruffy posted, and I won't but still a day and half later no one has posted shit in this thread about its topic...author included.

Point proven time to move on lol...unless your a sad internet troll with no life...lets see if any chime in below.

Whoop Whoop OCJ_Brendan :

bayAreaShaman

March 19, 2016
3:52 am
bayAreaShaman
bayAreaShaman
Members
Forum Posts: 3151

Milkos voice in my head is really slow and high pitch.like he starts his sentences with "well actually...." more often than not.

U are andy dick in my head. 

Whoop Whoop bayAreaShaman :

OCJ_Brendan

YOU KNOW THEY AINT NO SUCH THING AS LEFTOVER CRACK!!!- Leftover Crack

March 19, 2016
10:32 am
Miklo Velka
Miklo Velka
Members

Veteran GOTJ comedy host @upchuckthaclown aka Joel Fragomeni got interviewed about his long-running podcast recently.

The interview was conducted by the website All Access Music Group, which covers the radio industry-

Broadcaster Meets Podcaster

By Seth Resler

Podcasting And Stand Up Comedy: Q&A With Joel Fragomeni

March 8, 2016

Joel Fragomeni is a stand-up comedian and podcaster based out of Ferndale, MI. His podcast was among the first on the internet and the first by a working stand-up up comic. A complete archive of all of his shows can be found at his website.

Image Enlarger

Image Enlarger

1. You were the first comedian to do a podcast. How did you get into podcasting?

Myself and another Detroit-area Comedian, Corey Hall, were always having really funny phone conversations about all kinds of arcane topics and we thought it would make a good morning radio show. So after seeing an ad from a local station looking for on-air talent, we borrowed some equipment and recorded a demo on a 4-track cassette. We sent it in and heard nothing back. We tabled our dreams of being radio stars and went back to our comedy careers. This was sometime in 2003.

Then late in 2004, I read an article about people making "podcasts," so I said to Corey, "Hey, we can make that radio show now and distribute it on the internet." At this time, we were still thinking this was all a demo for commercial radio. By early 2005, I had read enough about how to do it, that we marched down to Guitar Center with a $300 check from a comedy gig and bought some equipment. We plugged the mikes and mixer into my computer and recorded our first show that night. That was in March of 2005. You can still download that one!

2. What was the reception from other comics when you started? How have you seen other comics embrace podcasting over the years?

At first, it was mostly comics as our guests, so we'd have a great time getting drunk and telling road stories on the show. We were basically recording the same conversations that we'd have with our co-workers after shows at a diner or something, just making ourselves laugh. Eventually, other comics asked me for advice on doing their own shows. I've helped out a few over the years, including Jimmy Pardo, who started his show after guesting on mine, and he still does it to this day. So Jimmy should get a lot of credit for being a pioneer, too. His show is quite popular - much more than mine!

Now almost every big-name comic has a podcast and it's comics like Marc Maron that most people associate with the format. I'm sure much of the public thinks comedians invented podcasting, but it really all started with me!

3. How has the format of your show evolved over the years?

The biggest change is that the show was originally "The Corey and Joel Radio Show," but Corey got burned out, so it just became "Joel Radio" and I did a bunch of them by myself or with other people. Eventually, Corey came back to co-host, but now I have the flexibility of doing the show with whoever I want, whenever I want, which is really nice. So it's my solo podcast now, but I'm much more comfortable and more funny doing the show as a team.

In the beginning, we were doing multiple shows in a week and limiting the length to 60 or 70 minutes so people could burn the show to a CD. That's how many people were listening back then, as iPods were expensive and the first smartphone wouldn't come out for a few years. Now the show can be as long as I want - it's usually 90 minutes to two hours - as people can listen much more easily. I also do it less frequently, but with a longer run time; it's the same amount of show.

And over the years I've done lots of experimenting with the format. I recorded the first live stand-up comedy show as a podcast, recorded from various live events like comedy festivals, did a "Roast" of myself and Corey as a podcast, and a million other wacky things. It's fun to get out of the home studio and do the show wherever I want. With the technology now, I can do a studio-quality podcast from almost anywhere.

4. How has the podcasting changed in the time that you've been doing it?

It's become mainstream now, and for many people has completely replaced radio as a form of entertainment on the go. It's ironic that I started a podcast to get into radio, when now so many people are going the other direction.

It's also so much easier to distribute the shows and get people to listen. When I started in this there was no iTunes for podcasts! When they added podcasts my show was one of the only comedy shows on there and we got a ton of new listeners from all over the world. There was a real novelty to the whole thing. People would email and say they were listening in Australia, Germany, wherever. Now if you started a show it would be really hard to get anyone to listen because there's just so many shows.

Another thing is that it's not just people doing them in their house anymore. Big broadcast outfits like ESPN and Comedy Central are distributing their shows as podcasts now, so it's really hard for the little guys to get noticed. My show never got really big, but it's got a small, loyal following. I credit that to starting it early and being consistent with the frequency of the shows and the quality. I can't imagine trying to start a podcast now. I think for most people it's too frustrating to find an audience, so most of them quit.

5. What impact has the podcast had on your comedy career?

As a promotional tool, I think it's somewhat overrated. Podcast and stand up comedy shows have different audiences. Podcasts are usually being listened to by most people alone in their cars or with earbuds, and stand-up comedy is an activity that is best enjoyed by people in large groups. Still, Marc Maron, Bill Burr, and Adam Carrola have become much bigger comics from their shows, but I think that's the exception more than the rule.

There's also been some geographic challenges as I've toured mostly in the Midwest of America and people are listening all over the world. I'd love to do comedy shows wherever there are fans of the podcast, but that's not always possible. Still, I've had many people come out to my shows because they are fans of the podcast. There's even one crazy German guy who flew all the way to Detroit to come to some live shows because he liked the podcast so much! A real nut! I love that guy.

Mostly, though, I think doing a podcast has benefited my comedy career as many of my bits have grown out of conversations on the show and it's given me the freedom to be a little more conversational on stage. Stand-up should be a routine - carefully written and honed to a point - but you also want it to sound like you're having a conversation with a friend. That's something I've been lucky to do on my show for the last eleven years. And I see no reason to stop in the future.

http://tupac2.allaccess.com/po.....-with-joel

March 19, 2016
10:57 am
Miklo Velka
Miklo Velka
Members

scruffy said

yeah, i dont think you are nearly as concerned with upchucks 'shine', as you are with bein a dick. 

if you, yourself, dont even have anything at all to say about upchuck, maybe you shouldnt be braggin on this thread like it means sumn.  and you really shouldnt be talkin shit when nobody else has anything to say about him, either. 

If you search for "Upchuck" here in the forum you will find that I have started multiple threads about Upchuck.

I've tried to steer Juggalos towards his dope podcast, as almost every month he drops a cool backstage story about ICP/Gathering stuff.

Also,Corey Hall is an awesome co-host. I laugh a lot at their takes on pop culture shit and current events.

I'm probably one of the biggest fans of that show, I've listened to every episode.

Shameless plug-  http://www.joelradio.net

scruffy said

youre a trust fund kid, arent you?  got everything handed to you, so you shit on people that have to earn their lives, that kinda thing.  thats you, innit?  seems like it. 

Don't make me laugh.

I moved out as soon as I could at age 17.

I went to university on a partial scholarship, and took out at a huge student loan to pay for the rest, while still working a part time job to help pay the bills then.

I have been the King of shitty jobs in my lifetime.

I did have a nice run of being a paid Musical theater performer/singer from age 17 to 22, but that shit dried up, and I landed on my feet doing the blue collar job I have had for the last 12 years.

I am decently paid thanks to being in the Teamsters Union, who negotiates a fair wage for us every 5 years.

I have a pension and good benefits, but I do not brag about my job to anyone. It pays the bills, but is not glamorous in any way shape or form.

Best part about it is the girls I have met through there.

smile

No permission to create posts
Forum Timezone: America/Chicago

Most Users Ever Online: 591

Currently Online:
84 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

The Warlock: 11663

King Lucem Ferre: 9098

Old Mr Dangerous: 8974

krunk: 8060

OCJ_Brendan: 6148

Member Stats:

Guest Posters: 755

Members: 3743

Moderators: 6

Admins: 2

Forum Stats:

Groups: 5

Forums: 28

Topics: 12299

Newest Members:

Philipesodo, JaneHor, THC Drinks, Jammek, GloriaIcome

Moderators: GanjaGoblin: 2873, Psyral: 4297, bozodklown: 394, scruffy: 11447, PunkRockJuggalo: 6559, Pigg: 6492

Administrators: admin: 1, ScottieD: 845