April 25, 2024
81 Guests and Online

Please consider Sign Uping

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Sign Up

Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

No permission to create posts
sp_Feed Topic RSS GOTJ23
2015 Juggalo Gathering Carpool
February 13, 2015
1:06 pm
SteWieH
Members
Forum Posts: 4
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

So I am in Fort Wayne, Indiana and looking for a ride to the Gathering.

February 16, 2015
5:16 pm
Mr. Tidwell
Members
Forum Posts: 1825

Inland Empire, California for me. I'll probably try to fly into columbus and need a ride from the airport though if I can't find people down to slug me across country.

February 25, 2015
10:38 am
dilutid
dilutid
Members
Forum Posts: 165

Hammond, Indiana here.

April 22, 2015
2:54 pm
Mr. Tidwell
Members

I'm officially taking the bus, and then getting a car from my stop in columbus. If anybody wants to carpool from that point on and split the cost of the rental car, I'm down. I'll be getting there a bit late though. About 11 am on the 22nd so it'll already be open and everything. I also plan on making a run to a local grocery store first. 

April 22, 2015
10:21 pm
entrappedmind
entrappedmind
Members
Forum Posts: 696

RobTidwell said
I also plan on making a run to a local grocery store first. 

A bit north of the venue, if you go west on 40 (National Road SE), you'll hit a Kroger a ways down the road in Hebron. Believe it's the closest full-fledged grocery store. There's a fairly well-stocked gas station across the road from Legend Valley, and a few more both north and south on 13.

April 22, 2015
11:09 pm
Psyral
#ModBot
Members

Moderators
Forum Posts: 4297

@robtidwell , if there is anyway you can get there a day earlier it will be much better. It'll be very hard to find a good camping spot and you'll miss the parking lot party the night before.

(click image for source)   Yeah.gif   (click image for source)
April 23, 2015
12:47 pm
Mr. Tidwell
Members

entrappedmind said

RobTidwell said
I also plan on making a run to a local grocery store first. 

A bit north of the venue, if you go west on 40 (National Road SE), you'll hit a Kroger a ways down the road in Hebron. Believe it's the closest full-fledged grocery store. There's a fairly well-stocked gas station across the road from Legend Valley, and a few more both north and south on 13.

Thanks.

Psyral Infection said
 if there is anyway you can get there a day earlier it will be much better. It'll be very hard to find a good camping spot and you'll miss the parking lot party the night before.

Unfortunately, it's the best i can do and the bus ticket is already purchased. I'm going by myself and I'm probably going to sleep in my car if possible so I'm not overly worried about the camping spot. 

April 23, 2015
8:40 pm
entrappedmind
entrappedmind
Members

Pack a sleeping bag or blanket... If I'm able to secure the amount of space I'd like to, there'll be room for a few FLH faithful at my site.

April 24, 2015
11:39 am
OCJ_Brendan
OCJ_Brendan
Springfield VA
Members
Forum Posts: 6148

entrappedmind said
Pack a sleeping bag or blanket... If I'm able to secure the amount of space I'd like to, there'll be room for a few FLH faithful at my site.

I was figuring id try to link up with the FLH crew this year...as I AM offically going... If theres space for one more tent in your area that is.

"Somewhere theres a Waffle House thats severely understaffed right now" -OCJ to Scruffy watching a second stage act at the Gathering.

April 24, 2015
1:48 pm
entrappedmind
entrappedmind
Members

As one of the newer guys, I feel almost obligated to make room for ya, Brendan.

That being said, if I get set up where I want to be, I should have plenty of room for a few of ya. Especially if we link up in the parking lot and work together to claim a spot. The more we have, the bigger the spot we can stake out.

April 24, 2015
11:40 pm
OCJ_Brendan
OCJ_Brendan
Springfield VA
Members

entrappedmind said
As one of the newer guys, I feel almost obligated to make room for ya, Brendan.

That being said, if I get set up where I want to be, I should have plenty of room for a few of ya. Especially if we link up in the parking lot and work together to claim a spot. The more we have, the bigger the spot we can stake out.

I intend to link up as early as possible.  I will be grabbing my tickets as soon as my refund gets here...so i will be more then down for some ninja tactics to increase our space.  My homie and my girl will be with me but will only need space for 2 pop up tents.  In years past when OCJ rolled in force up those parts (before felonies and kids fucked up most of the homies leaving) I used to have to stay with the car to drive it in, but this year Ill put the 50 hours a week im on my feet to good use. Plus Jerome is a 250 mean (looking hes actually really nice) black man people usually have trouble saying no to.  He is 2 for 2 with securing camp spots the previous years ive brought him.  This will be my 8th gathering, but my first at legend valley...so no inside angles unfortunately.

"Somewhere theres a Waffle House thats severely understaffed right now" -OCJ to Scruffy watching a second stage act at the Gathering.

April 24, 2015
11:44 pm
OCJ_Brendan
OCJ_Brendan
Springfield VA
Members

RobTidwell said

Unfortunately, it's the best i can do and the bus ticket is already purchased. I'm going by myself and I'm probably going to sleep in my car if possible so I'm not overly worried about the camping spot. 

I would look into changing the bus ticket homie.  I took AMTRAK a bit ago on a business trip and made four edits with no charge as meeting times changed.  I can't imagine Greyhound would be much different as long as the seat is equivalent.  The parking lot party is a lot of fun.

April 25, 2015
5:31 am
entrappedmind
entrappedmind
Members

OCJ_Brendan said

I intend to link up as early as possible.  I will be grabbing my tickets as soon as my refund gets here...so i will be more then down for some ninja tactics to increase our space.  My homie and my girl will be with me but will only need space for 2 pop up tents.  In years past when OCJ rolled in force up those parts (before felonies and kids fucked up most of the homies leaving) I used to have to stay with the car to drive it in, but this year Ill put the 50 hours a week im on my feet to good use. Plus Jerome is a 250 mean (looking hes actually really nice) black man people usually have trouble saying no to.  He is 2 for 2 with securing camp spots the previous years ive brought him.  This will be my 8th gathering, but my first at legend valley...so no inside angles unfortunately.

It sounds as though I might have offered to make space for exactly the right dude, then. Heh. As much as I'm stressing about getting "my spot", anybody that helps make that happen will be my freakin' hero for the week. It'll be cool to link up with everybody in the lot this year, too, as that was the lowlight of the Gathering last year because I failed to hook up with both ScottyD and CK44.

April 26, 2015
8:37 pm
OCJ_Brendan
OCJ_Brendan
Springfield VA
Members

Finding shade to camp under equates to a comfortable rest time which however limited that may be is crucial to enjoying the week.  If you know of a place that Boxy can show me and J we will do our best to get there and pin it down.  Ive stressed massively about getting my spot in previous years so I get it totally.  If that spot is taken we will just focus on locking down another good one...Im sure itll work out.

April 26, 2015
8:58 pm
Psyral
#ModBot
Members

Moderators
Forum Posts: 4297

Go in without a plan. Bring your own shade (Canopy) is you need it. You can't be disappointed if you go in with no expectations.

(click image for source)   Yeah.gif   (click image for source)
April 26, 2015
9:21 pm
bayAreaShaman
bayAreaShaman
Members
Forum Posts: 3151

Psyral Infection said
Go in without a plan. Bring your own shade (Canopy) is you need it. You can't be disappointed if you go in with no expectations.

Hell yeah im gonna bring a canopy.. A tarp or too incase i get creative.

As a plan i think imma have my girl drive while i pin any good spot down.  Maybe get some walkie talkies for funsies lol 

YOU KNOW THEY AINT NO SUCH THING AS LEFTOVER CRACK!!!- Leftover Crack

April 26, 2015
10:17 pm
entrappedmind
entrappedmind
Members

OCJ_Brendan said
Finding shade to camp under equates to a comfortable rest time which however limited that may be is crucial to enjoying the week.  If you know of a place that Boxy can show me and J we will do our best to get there and pin it down.  Ive stressed massively about getting my spot in previous years so I get it totally.  If that spot is taken we will just focus on locking down another good one...Im sure itll work out.

Sounds like a plan, and hella appreciated.

Psyral Infection said

I wish I felt the same way. We sort of discussed this a little last year, if I remember right... You and krunk enjoy wandering and meeting folks. Whereas I find the most enjoyment out of chilling in my chair under my canopy and meeting the folks I plan to meet. Under normal circumstances, I'm incredibly antisocial - almost to the point of introversion - so I'm much more comfortable to let the world occur on my doorstep and participate on my own terms. And as far as expectations, I think I've made it fairly obvious that I'm a planner lol. I like to anticipate almost any eventuality, and have a gameplan set to go regardless of the situation. I don't expect you to understand, dude - you're outgoing as hell, and you strike me as the sort that can turn a stranger into a friend with little to no effort at all. I envy you for that shit, man.

April 27, 2015
1:25 am
VeryTwiztidRaven
VeryTwiztidRaven
Members
Forum Posts: 492

entrappedmind said

Psyral Infection said

I wish I felt the same way. We sort of discussed this a little last year, if I remember right... You and krunk enjoy wandering and meeting folks. Whereas I find the most enjoyment out of chilling in my chair under my canopy and meeting the folks I plan to meet. Under normal circumstances, I'm incredibly antisocial - almost to the point of introversion - so I'm much more comfortable to let the world occur on my doorstep and participate on my own terms. And as far as expectations, I think I've made it fairly obvious that I'm a planner lol. I like to anticipate almost any eventuality, and have a gameplan set to go regardless of the situation. I don't expect you to understand, dude - you're outgoing as hell, and you strike me as the sort that can turn a stranger into a friend with little to no effort at all. I envy you for that shit, man.

I feel you on this completely. I'm not the one who can just roll with the punches easily, and anxiety kind of kicks my butt if I don't have at least a basic plan (I try not to over plan, but I always want to be prepared). That's why when people ask for advice, you will see three or four paragraphs from me, where others will tell newbies to wing it. The whole getting inside and finding a place to camp aspect of the GOTJ is really trying for people who are planners since it's not really something you can plan for.

-Jules

April 27, 2015
5:36 am
entrappedmind
entrappedmind
Members

Anxiety. I hate that word, because there's so much in my life that's been dictated by it. Hell, if it wasn't for this forum right here, my social anxiety would have prevented me from going to the Gathering last year at all, and even if I had gone, kept me from enjoying it. When we arrived, and I saw everyone parked in the pre-parking lot, I drove past to a gas station a few miles down the road, just to build up the gumption to pull in. Once I returned and parked, and started feeling a little bit more comfortable, we had to pack back up and get lined up to enter the parking lot proper - resetting my internal anxious-meter lol. Once we got parked, the only thing that made me go stand in line to get our programs and armbands was the fact that I couldn't bloody well leave at that point, we were sardine'd in. The whole time standing in line, I was convinced I was in the wrong line - a feeling that only got worse, and worse, and freakin' worse as the hour and some minutes passed. Then I found out that I'd have to do my car pass later, but no one knew where - or when - or how. That one was damn near heart-attack inducing. Finally get told the printout for my car pass, which I arrived with, was all I needed - and I'm fucking convinced the entire night and morning as we line up to enter that I'll be turned away because I fucked something up. Get word that @scottied is waiting for us to collect our shirts, fight through my anxiety to go and find him, and get turned away by @psykoscott because Scottie is down the street getting propane or ice or something. Never get brave enough to go find him again 'til I'm with the entire group inside. Find out @carnivalkilla44 is looking to hook up with forum people, make a half-hearted attempt to go find him in the line, and give up after about 5 minutes because I don't have the balls to simply holler out "CK44!". Get lined up, make our way into the grounds, and loop the place three times (getting stuck 4 times) trying to find a spot, any spot. Decide my efforts are in vain. Decide I'm going to just give up and leave, because by this point, I'm knee-deep in a psychological breakdown. Almost accidentally, I find the spot I wound up in. Unpack. Settle down. Fight with myself about going to the meet-up. Wander to the top of the hill, look down, and don't see anyone that "looks the part". Almost turn around. Go down the hill, stand and the bleachers and try to act natural. Still don't see whatever the hell I expect the folks I was looking for to look like. Almost turn around. Finally work up the balls to ask under my breath "Uh... Faygoluvers...?" Not realizing the people I'm asking all have matching fucking shirts on that SAY "Meetup Massacre" clear as day on them. I found my people. I "know" these people. I can relax.

So yeah. My site turned out to be a glimmering oasis in a desert of broken hope and gut-wrenching anxiety. My site saved half of the Gathering for me. And it turned out perfect. But if I just had the site, if I hadn't known people through here already to meet up with, it would've been a bust. Socially, you folks, and FLH as a whole, was the oasis.

So... There's my story. The whole story. Hell, that could even serve as my belated write-up - because everything beyond that was just gravy. My Gathering experience was all about conquering my anxiety, and how you folks and the relative safe-zone my site represented helped me to do so.

How's that for anxiety, @verytwiztidraven ?

April 27, 2015
5:48 am
scruffy
scruffy
Members

Moderators
Forum Posts: 11447

truth is, it probably woulda worked out all right no matter where you ended up camping or who you ended up runnin with.  

best policy:  try to plan for everything, try not to expect anything.  

[edit]  typo fix.  

awfully paranoid, arent you?   

No permission to create posts
Forum Timezone: America/Chicago

Most Users Ever Online: 591

Currently Online:
94 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

The Warlock: 11663

King Lucem Ferre: 9098

Old Mr Dangerous: 8974

krunk: 8060

OCJ_Brendan: 6148

Member Stats:

Guest Posters: 755

Members: 3743

Moderators: 6

Admins: 2

Forum Stats:

Groups: 5

Forums: 28

Topics: 12299

Newest Members:

winin84724, Nelsonprato, Weed Tinctures, DavidLem, MichaelDes

Moderators: GanjaGoblin: 2873, Psyral: 4297, bozodklown: 394, scruffy: 11447, PunkRockJuggalo: 6559, Pigg: 6492

Administrators: admin: 1, ScottieD: 845